Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why does s76 use non LTS releases

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

why does s76 use non LTS releases

Hi
    I was wondering what motivates S76 to focus upon supporting the latest ubuntu releases? Doesn't this generate an awful lot of teething trouble for the S76 team every few months?
    M.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: why does s76 use non LTS releases

I am not a S76 employee, but my guess is that that is what their market research shows the majority of their customers want. When an LTS release is the current one, they install that version on the laptops they sell. Personally, on most of my System 76 hardware, I run Debian stable. A really LTS distro.

Joe

Beans
    Hidden!

I am not a S76 employee either, but I seem to recall a couple of posts where S76 stated that they were trying to offer cutting edge hardware and and not all of it would work with Lucid 10.04LTS

Beans

I just got a new Pangolin and the video will not run on anything before kernel 2.6.37, this means that both 10.04 and 10.10 are out of the picture.

Beans

Really? My Pangolin, which was purchased a while ago, is running 10.04 LTS and doesn't seem to have any video issues. I probably won't update until the next LTS comes out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stangdaman View Post
    Really? My Pangolin, which was purchased a while ago, is running 10.04 LTS and doesn't seem to have any video issues. I probably won't update until the next LTS comes out.
    Which one did you get. I have the one with Sandy Bridge Intel HD 3000 graphics. When those chips first came out, there were many problems with the drivers and only recent versions of the kernel and Xorg have fixed those.

If you have a model with ATI or older Intel graphics, you wouldn't have any issues on the LTS release.

Beans

Yeah, that's the one I have. I have the ATI 4570 model.

Beans

The ATI 4xxx series came out before 10.04 was released, so 10.04 does have proper drivers. Sandy Bridge came out right around the same time as 10.10 and Intel had dropped with ball with the first batch of drivers that just weren't working right. If you have the newer Intel graphics, you have to use kernel 2.6.37 or newer (Ubuntu 11.04 or newer).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Perhaps things are changing in regards to the LTS releases. I just came across this when browsing on ubuntu.com: http://www.canonical.com/content/ubu...-desktop-users

The first two years of the LTS period will benefit businesses by including hardware updates (through regular point releases) allowing them to keep up to date with the latest hardware upgrades.
    Does that mean that new chipsets released during the first 2 years of a (now support with 5 years of maintenance updates) LTS release will be supported? If so, System76 could offer the latest LTS at all times, and a second option of the latest release ... that would be a great comprise for both sides of the argument.

Of course, that assumes "hardware updates" means what I'm hoping it does

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's the PanP7, which uses first-gen iX processors. The new PanP8 that we sell now uses integrated Sandy Bridge graphics from the second-gen Intel processors, which aren't supported at all prior to Natty.

We want to offer the most cutting-edge hardware experience required, so we often need the latest release to make it work. Some things simply won't run on an older kernel.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast