Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade 11.04 to 11.10 failed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Upgrade 11.04 to 11.10 failed

Hi folks -- I can see from the threads here I'm not the only one having 11.10 upgrade problems.

My attempt to upgrade terminated abnormally. When I reboot it takes me as far as "waiting for network config" followed by "booting without full network configuration" and hangs there. When I boot into safe made, I get "unable to connect to system bus: failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused".

I'm running an HP Pavilion tx 2500 laptop; AMD Turion X2 Dual Core; and an ST9250827 AS hard drive.

Is there a way to walk the upgrade back to 11.04? Can I start the upgrade over from scratch? Is there a work-around (anything to get me out Vista (I'm dual booted))? Can I go out and get drunk now? What if any help does Canonical offer?

I sure would appreciate your help. Thank you so much! ...Fred

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Upgrade 11.04 to 11.10 failed

Same problem here ... I rebooted into the 11.04 kernel (2.6.38), and it works. Not a real solution for the problem, of course

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You can not roll back to 11.04. If you want this one back, a fresh install is the only way - and a fresh install is also the best option, if you want 11.10

More advice in the link in my signature.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    You can not roll back to 11.04. If you want this one back, a fresh install is the only way - and a fresh install is also the best option, if you want 11.10

More advice in the link in my signature.

I read your extensive dissertation, and while much of it is over my head, it truly is a labor of love for which I thank you.

No doubt, as you point out, a fresh install is best, but as I recall that also wipes the disk. So is there a way to do an install and save your data? Or is there a way to get at my data without Ubuntu? By now you've guessed, I did not back anything up. Mea culpa. At this point, all I can do is move on.

Thank you for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by atravnic View Post
    I read your extensive dissertation, and while much of it is over my head, it truly is a labor of love for which I thank you.

No doubt, as you point out, a fresh install is best, but as I recall that also wipes the disk. So is there a way to do an install and save your data? Or is there a way to get at my data without Ubuntu? By now you've guessed, I did not back anything up. Mea culpa. At this point, all I can do is move on.

Thank you for your help.
    Install as normal and at the 'Where to Install' screen choose 'Something Else'. Here select the original partition and do not format it. System installs and rewrites the system files only.

Have a backup of your personal files just in case something goes wrong.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stephanhuiser View Post
    Same problem here ... I rebooted into the 11.04 kernel (2.6.38), and it works. Not a real solution for the problem, of course
    Thank you for your suggestion. I'm anxious to try it--11.04 worked fine for me, and waiting a few months for 11.10 will give it a chance to settle down--but, full disclosure: I'm not a techie and I have no idea how to do what you suggest.

So I ask for your help once more. Can you please give me complete instructions on how to boot into the 11.04 kernel, and anything else I may need to do. And will I have to do this every time I log into Ubuntu 11.04

Thanks again for your help.

Beans

I'm going to be brutally honest here. I've never liked the dist-upgrade option to upgrade my entire Ubuntu system. I tired that years and years ago.. with very very little success ever.. and things weren't exactly broken, but I think I had to spend more time getting everything the way it was, than the time would it take to reinstall with a simple walkthrough like this:

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/201...neiric-ocelot/

Just back up your settings, files, documents, and passwords/bookmarks, and let it go.

I'm not waiting around for them to fix the upgrade process from one releases to the next because there are just too many things that can get messed up during the upgrade process. It is always better to simply do a quick fresh installation from a flash thumb drive of Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by atravnic View Post
    Thank you for your suggestion. I'm anxious to try it--11.04 worked fine for me, and waiting a few months for 11.10 will give it a chance to settle down--but, full disclosure: I'm not a techie and I have no idea how to do what you suggest.

So I ask for your help once more. Can you please give me complete instructions on how to boot into the 11.04 kernel, and anything else I may need to do. And will I have to do this every time I log into Ubuntu 11.04

Thanks again for your help.

Beans
    Distro

I'd like to thank everyone who responded with their ideas. But before I thank each of you individually, my overriding concern is backing up my data before I do any of what you all suggested. Dumb idea, what if I were to use wubi from within Vista to grab my data (I may be demonstrating my ignorance -- but hey, what the hell)?

Okay, here come the thank you notes:

. stephanhuiser for suggesting to reboot into the kernel (still don't know how to do that though)

. mörgæs for suggesting a fresh install (as soon as I get a definitive on how to get to my data first so I can back them up before I wipe the slate clean with that fresh install)

. westie457 for the clever way to install 11.10 without touching my data -- has anyone else done that? (I still hope to find a way to back up my data first, though, before I do anything else)

. oldtimer7777 -- I share your frustration (but until I can get to my data... see preceding)

You've been a great bunch of folks to offer all that help.

Thank you!

...Fred

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Upgrade 11.04 to 11.10 failed

I rebooted again to kernel 3.0 and it just works now ... don't ask me why

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stephanhuiser View Post
    I rebooted again to kernel 3.0 and it just works now ... don't ask me why
    And exactly how do I boot into kernel 3.0, and at what point? You need to give me step-by-step instructions. Pretend you're explaining it to a 5-year old.

I assume this will get me back to 11.04, correct?

Thanks!! ...Fred

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast