View Poll Results: Does Ubuntu 12.04 need more customization options by default?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. If not, it conflicts with the principles on what the free software movement was founded on.

60 92.31%
  • No. I want my computer to be the simplest it can be as possible.

5 7.69%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization options and fine-tuning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization options and fine-tuning

PS: The top bar also needs to have the same customization options as the panels do in Gnome 2.x. This will allow users to move items where they please.
    Bring Chrome to the Software Center. Now.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1186564

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization options and fine-tuning

Quote Originally Posted by linuxuser12345 View Post
    Well then we need a service pack after the initial release if we can't get these features off the floor by April. The users want customization to fit their workspace and their needs.
    This is addressed by the 4 point releases sfter the initial release, the point release add newer versions of programs, bug fixes, and in some cases enhancements.

Edit Move to the Cafe, as this sub-forum isn't the right place for this type pf thread.
    Last edited by cariboo; October 30th, 2011 at 03:22 AM.

Beans

It should have more options for customization. Or they would be like the others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chubbtech View Post
    getting back the screensaver wud be nice 2
    This. +1

At this point shipping with Xscreensaver would be an improvement.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by gsmanners View Post
    I respectfully disagree. The problem with this particular assertion is that it implies that we all agree on what the definition of "works" is. There are as many definitions of that word as there are computers and people who use them (some of us have several definitions of our own and not just one).
    And I respectfully agree with you! Well said.

If having a "working" OS is all that matters, why talk of branding and identity? Does having the ability to customize visible elements to my needs detract in any way from what OS I'm using? Is locking down things necessary to preserve identity or branding?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One thing to note is that a lot of the reduced customization and flexibility in 11.10 has to do with the Gnome 3 base, not Unity itself. What you're seeing in the System Settings window comes straight from upstream.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    One thing to note is that a lot of the reduced customization and flexibility in 11.10 has to do with the Gnome 3 base, not Unity itself. What you're seeing in the System Settings window comes straight from upstream.
    I also disagreed with *that* decision as well back in 2008. I recall a lot of "yes, but"-ing, hair-pulling about "distractions," some unverified "studies" about productivity, and a lot of general groupthink at the time. As you sow, etc...

Why Ubuntu would want to take direction from that, I don't know. You take what you can get, but surely we can do a little better? Is it really asking so much to let people be able to make their desktop environment fit their needs a little better?
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moldaviax View Post
    moving the launcher around would be nice but we need a menu driven interface too, I fear there is not enough time for 12.04 to hit the ground running and please everyone

M.

You can already do both, though not officially.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/show-...ntu-unity.html
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/use-c...assicmenu.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

if customization options are put in 12.04, they must not be "compiz" type which r unstable and risky to try, as it is a LTS release, a lot of people will take it as most stable available distro of ubuntu, so customisations should come with proper guidance of what one is going to do and what it will result in, to save newbies from hurting themselves. there should also be ample documentation for users keen to take most out of ubuntu .

if it happens, it will reinstall ubuntu where it is uninstalled.
    Make money by writing !
    You only live once, do what you like most !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think more customization would be nice, but your option #1 is worded in a very provocative manner "If not, it conflicts with the principles on what the free software movement was founded on.".

Canonical restricting customization on it's own distro does NOT infringe upon the principles of free software, quite the opposite. The idea of free software is that anyone is able to take a piece of software they own, modify it, and distribute it the way they choose, the only stipulation being that they also make their product freely available to be modified.

In fact, the idea that a community of people can 'force' a company to add features that the company does not want to implement goes against the principles of free software. If Canonical cannot make Ubuntu what they want to without fear of backlash, then their freedom is being restricted. Any user who disagrees with Canonical's way of doing things is free to modify Ubuntu to their taste, essentially creating a forked OS.

It is Canonical's fundamental right under the principles of free software to be able to make Ubuntu what THEY want, any input they take from users is purely voluntary on their behalf.
    Last edited by Mikeb85; October 30th, 2011 at 07:55 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast