Thread: Bulk File Rename Software

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Bulk File Rename Software

Finding a GUI bulk file renamer for Linux was not an easy task. I tried various Windows solutions under wine but didn't like any of them. Finally I found Métamorphose (see http://file-folder-ren.sourceforge.net). It works perfectly, works on all platforms (python, of course), and has a .deb for installation. I highly recommend it. It supports Regular expression support throughout, Renames MP3 files according to their ID3 tags, Renames image files according to their Exif tags and has Full unicode support from any language. Great stuff!
    ----
    Linux user since before Yggdrasil, Unix before that while with the real AT&T.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Bulk File Rename Software

Personally I use pyRenamer. It works great for mass renaming files and has great pattern matching options. It also has options for images and music file tag reading.
    MyBlog
    Sledgehammer engineering, if it doesn't work, hit it damn hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I use Thunar file manager. It does a great job of renaming files and it is a file manager to boot. It is in the repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You are a god among men. Not quite PFrank, but wipes the floor with Thunar's offering. Thanks for the great tip!

I have been steadily searching for replacements to all the cool utilities I've come to depend on over the years in Windows, and sometimes its very discouraging when you don't find something comparable available for Linux. I still haven't found the De-Facto site to find good software. but it's a joy when you sniff out gems like this.

Ako

Xubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) 2.6.32-30-generic SMP i686 GNU/Linux
    Xfce 4 Desktop Environment - version 4.6.1 (Xfce 4.6)
    Gnome 2.30.02

Beans

KRename does all of that and more.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    That's good to know, Thanks. Unfortunately a full featured desktop is a little much for my old laptop. It's hard enough to stay away from the more useful software avalable on gnome since xfce is is still using some bits of it.

Metamorphose2 only depended on 4 python dependencies that I already had, whereas krename would require 62 dependencies and 237mb. I'll still keep it in mind for when I get my main rig breathing again. There are more than a couple of nice programs I'd like to use, but have backed away because of resources, which makes finding good, (lightweight) software even more challenging.

Thanks,
    Ako
    Xubuntu 12.04LTS (Precise) 3.2.0-51-generic x86_64
    Xfce 4 Desktop Environment - version 4.10.2 (Xfce 4.10)

Beans

There's a nice thread on this topic on AskUbuntu -- the "surprise" one for me was the "qmv" option from the "RenameUtils" suite. Too bad it's not up-to-date in Synaptic, but this worked great, especially if you're happy to use vi.

Otherwise, pyRenamer does the job OK, too. (As a Windows/LInux dual citizen, I do miss the options and power of Bulk Rename Utility, though!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    And it's easy to use.

Thanks for the tip!
    My site - for my role-playing games, spaceships and stuff like that.