Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolling release distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Rolling release distro

i have used ubuntu for the passed few years and i would like to try a rolling release distro.

any recommendations.

would like one that is easy to install.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Rolling release distro

Since you've been using Ubuntu the first I'd recommend is LMDE.

If you don't mind leaving the Debian comfort zone I'd recommend Arch.
    Last edited by cbowman57; October 28th, 2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Linux Mint Debian and ditto Xfce is easy peasy. Arch require more but you learn a lot, there are several others, Google can be of great help.
    /14.10

Beans

One word: ARCH!

Beans

PCLinuxOS is a rolling release distro. I've been running it for over a year and just kept it up to date. It's been brilliant to be honest, very easy to use and no problems at all. I'd definitely recommend it to someone fancying a rolling distro but wanting the easy life.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    PCLinuxOS is a rolling release distro. I've been running it for over a year and just kept it up to date. It's been brilliant to be honest, very easy to use and no problems at all. I'd definitely recommend it to someone fancying a rolling distro but wanting the easy life.
    pclinuxos didn't know that was still around, only thing i am not into KDE.

Arch sounds like a good distro but might be to frustrating to setup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by terry_gardener View Post
    pclinuxos didn't know that was still around, only thing i am not into KDE.
    I will second PCLinuxOS, which as multiple versions (Xfce, LXDE, Openbox, KDE, etc.). The only thing stopping me from using it full time is the 64-bit version isn't final yet, but hopefully will soon.

I have tried LMDE in the past, but found that updates tend to break my system. It is also still on Gnome2 and Xfce 4.6... for a rolling distro they are running some pretty outdated software, which is fine if you get a stable system, but you don't. It also took them quite a long time to even get Firefox 4/5 compared to all the other distros. I like what they are trying to do, but they are falling quite short in execution.

You could also try openSUSE with the tumbleweed repos, which makes it a rolling release. Although they don't recommend this if you are using proprietary drivers (Nvidia, ATI, etc.)... which makes it useless for me personally.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

You can install other desktop environments on PCLinuxOS if you like. There are Xfce and LXDE editions too. 64 bit versions are in the works and looking extremely good, so good in fact that I have been running a 64 bit KDE test release for some time now.

My experience with PCLinuxOS has been very good and it is rock solid. I highly recommend PCLinuxOS, it is very well built and maintained.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    You can install other desktop environments on PCLinuxOS if you like. There are Xfce and LXDE editions too. 64 bit versions are in the works and looking extremely good, so good in fact that I have been running a 64 bit KDE test release for some time now.

My experience with PCLinuxOS has been very good and it is rock solid. I highly recommend PCLinuxOS, it is very well built and maintained.
    +1 on PCLinuxOS. I tried Phoenix for a while and would have no problem using it full time if need be. I think it's as light as Xubuntu and uses Synaptic for updates and software repos. I'm comfortable in the *buntu ecosystem but PCLinuxOS doesn't require much adaptation.

Beans
    Distro

Arch or Debian Sid/Testing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast