Thread: How Do I Make Lubuntu DE like Gnome?

Beans

How Do I Make Lubuntu DE like Gnome?

I downloaded for my Mum's computer, because it has a limited processor (1GHz) and needed a lightweight distro.

Anyway. I find customizing it a pain, and not nearly as easy as Gnome v2. My questions are:

~ How do I get the Gnome Menu applet for (LX11/LXDE)?
    ~ How can I get to the file system easily (I have put an applet on the task bar, but would like to know of an easier way).
    ~ How do I put Trash on the desktop (LX11/LXDE). I was going to see if Ubuntu Tweak would work, but haven't tried it yet.
    How do I change/make a photo desktop background (LX11/LXDE). I right-clicked on the picture while in the image viewer, but it dosen't seem to have to option to make it a background, so I'm stuck with the default blueish/gray screen.

I managed to put Firefox on the desktop by going to menu and setting it to desktop, had to right-click and drag it to the desktop, and I also managed to change the them to ClearLooks. The system needs a lot of work IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: How Do I Make Lubuntu DE like Gnome?

A lot of HOWTOs/Guides for Lubuntu - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    A lot of HOWTOs/Guides for Lubuntu - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

Thank you, I'll check it out.

~ Mel C.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Girls View Post
    Anyway. I find customizing it a pain, and not nearly as easy as Gnome v2.
    You just need to do some simple search and you'll find out how easy it's so customize Lubuntu or LXDE

My questions are:

~ How do I get the Gnome Menu applet for (LX11/LXDE)?
    Already answered that on your other thread!
    Again, there is a reason why LXPanel is being used by LXDE rather than GNOME Menu. Also, note that GNOME 2.x is not supported any more. If I were you, I would stick with LXPanel (simple, easy, nice, light, etc) but that's me

~ How can I get to the file system easily (I have put an applet on the task bar, but would like to know of an easier way).

~ How do I put Trash on the desktop (LX11/LXDE). I was going to see if Ubuntu Tweak would work, but haven't tried it yet.
    2nd post on my thread (Lubuntu One Stop Thread).

http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2018
    LXDE website was down but apparently, it's working now

How do I change/make a photo desktop background (LX11/LXDE). I right-clicked on the picture while in the image viewer, but it dosen't seem to have to option to make it a background, so I'm stuck with the default blueish/gray screen.
    The easiest way: Right Click on the Desktop > Desktop Preferences > Appearance

Or install any program that support "Right Click > Set as Wallpaper".

The system needs a lot of work IMO.
    Any Linux System needs some kind of customization after installing it. Above all, it's a trade off. No fancy stuff on LXDE but it's super light and easy. Nothing is perfect