Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dell about to sell Ubuntu PCs in China

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dell about to sell Ubuntu PCs in China

Canonical and Dell are teaming up to sell computers with Ubuntu preinstalled at stores in China. The program, which could help improve the mainstream visibility of the Linux-based operating system, will span 220 retail locations.
    read more:
    http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...s-in-china.ars

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dell about to sell Ubuntu PCs in China

While I think this is a great, I have a feeling a lot of people will just install a pirated Windows XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    While I think this is a great, I have a feeling a lot of people will just install a pirated Windows XP.
    I wonder how long they can stay on that old dinosaur...
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans

That's really interesting.

While piracy is widespread in china I can't help thinking that if that was the intention, the people buying these laptops would either just buy a laptop with pirated XP preinstalled (which i have no doubt is commonplace) or without an OS and not bother with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hopefully they'll be successful. I think half the battle for Linux is getting people to use it, most people are afraid to install an OS on their own computer, never mind a different one than they bought it with. If people can use Ubuntu in the store, and know that it will work when they take it home, that's 95% of the battle right there...

Beans
    Hidden!

Good news.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Also, what about the large number of websites in China that were designed specifically for IE6 without following any sort of standards? I'd assume modern browsers would have a lot of trouble in some situations.

Beans

I spent about six months in china a few years ago, working in a variety of capacities one of which included researching chinese website for the redesign of my employers website. I pretty much exclusively used firefox without many problems. I've heard about the IE thing, but i never found it an issue.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Hopefully they'll be successful. I think half the battle for Linux is getting people to use it, most people are afraid to install an OS on their own computer, never mind a different one than they bought it with. If people can use Ubuntu in the store, and know that it will work when they take it home, that's 95% of the battle right there...
    I would hope so too. It makes a big difference having a store of a big brand selling computers running Ubuntu. Not to exaggerate but I haven't physically met a single person using Linux. It would be wonderfully reassuring for newbies to know that there's some physical place one could go to to get help. (Note: this is not to downplay the role of this forum by any means!)

Re. some of the other comments.
    Vendors near where I stay have moved onto pirated Win 7 (pre-SP1) but do load pirated Win XP if the buyer insists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast