Thread: Only 1 terminal? No GUI for groups?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Only 1 terminal? No GUI for groups?

WTF? I recently upgraded my 3 version old system. It's been ok, no big issues. But today I noticed that I can only open a single terminal in Unity. There are lots of times I need more than 1. So I figure I'll just run screen. Not installed so I use my poor single terminal to run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install screen
    and damned if I get "unable to locate package screen!"

I know I still have Alt1-6 but that slower and I have to log in again.

Then user accounts has been simplified to the point that there is no GIU access to groups. They are still there, but no way to get at them without CLI?

I can't think of a good reason to limit access to the command line. If you are not comfortable there, use Unity and be happy. But I can't see why making the interface simple should preclude knowledgeable users from taking care of business.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Only 1 terminal? No GUI for groups?

When you open a terminal, you will see it on the left (dash). Just right click the terminal icon and choose new window. Not sure about groups.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Only 1 terminal? No GUI for groups?

Four ways to open two or more terminals in Oneiric Unity when one is open already.

Middle-click on terminal launcher in dock.
    Right-click on open terminal -> Open terminal
    Shift-Ctrl-N
    Terminal menu -> File -> Open Terminal

The package screen is in the repositories - in the main repository, no less. Try a sudo apt-get update and see if it appears.

The problem with the User Accounts utility in an upstream gnome one. Don't blame Ubuntu or Unity. You can install the gnome 2 package gnome-system-tools to get the older Users and Groups app. As far as I can make out it works OK in Oneiric and will have to do until the upstream gnome people further develop the gnome 3 users utility.