Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Remastersys is back in active development

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Remastersys is back in active development

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    I am glad to hear that you are going to continue development on the tool. I have found it very useful in the past, and would for sure try any new version you put out.

It has been a while since I have used it, but I remember having to do a number of manual steps when creating a distribution ISO, so if that could be steam lined a bit I think it would be a lot easier for people to use.

Keep us updated on you progress!
    This is exactly what I am planning on adding with the extra scripts I have created for my own use.

My goal is to make it extremely easy to create your own flavour of Ubuntu and all options will be accessible from gui and cli modes. It will of course always have the backup mode for personal backups as it has always had.

Some folks blindly copy files from the user home folder to /etc/skel and that can cause issues since many apps hard code the home folder in the config file. This causes the live user creation to fail.

You will be able to easily change the boot splash for the live system. You will be able to add your custom desktop settings including background, panel placement,etc. I am also trying to figure out easy ways to customize plymouth, grub, gdm, etc.

When I'm done, your grandmother will be able to make an Ubuntu variant.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Karlchen View Post
    Hello, Fragadelic.
    Great!
    Had already been wondering whether Remastersys 2.0.18.1 would continue to work fine on Oneiric or Pangolin in the way it had been doing on Lucid.
    Good to know Remastersys is alive.

Kind regards,
    Karl
    The new version will have more features specific to dist mode building and improve the overall process.

I am dedicated to make it a tool that even your grandmother can use to make a flavour of Ubuntu. As always it will support all window managers and desktop environments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Fragadelic View Post
    Due to the number of emails I received I have decided to make time to continue to develop remastersys.

I am planning to include options for distributions to make it easier. I already have some scripts that I have personally been using for distribution mode remasters and will be including them in the main remastersys package. As a result I will need dedicated testers for the different variants to help me out in testing.

Please post here, PM me, or email me if you can help out.
    Good evening

I am delighted to see that you have decided to continue with your splendid Remastersys application.

I am currently testing Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity and also Gnome Shell (version Gnome 3.2) and I have installed Remastersys to see how it performs with the recent Ubuntu OS (Oneiric).

I added your software source via synaptic, downloaded the application without difficulty, the app installed itself seamlessly within the "Other" category.

Here are the results from the jury:-

Custom ISO (OS only - no personal data) - Built in 15 minutes
    Create live USB using Ubuntu Start Up Disk Creator - Installed in 10 mins
    Boot with live USB - Everything OK
    Install to external drive - I am writing this synopsis from the latest installation while listening to 1970s Hippy Music.

As the younger UK brethren say "Result"

Good luck with your future endeavours

Beans

This is exactly what I am planning on adding with the extra scripts I have created for my own use.

My goal is to make it extremely easy to create your own flavour of Ubuntu and all options will be accessible from gui and cli modes. It will of course always have the backup mode for personal backups as it has always had.

Some folks blindly copy files from the user home folder to /etc/skel and that can cause issues since many apps hard code the home folder in the config file. This causes the live user creation to fail.

You will be able to easily change the boot splash for the live system. You will be able to add your custom desktop settings including background, panel placement,etc. I am also trying to figure out easy ways to customize plymouth, grub, gdm, etc.

Very cool. Nice to see you back, Fragadelic. I was definitely saddened to hear when you decided to stop development on Remastersys. Although, from what it sounded like, the lack of support and the stretching you thin by helping so many would get to anybody. Anyway, I know I am not the only one to say it is good to hear you are back.

I am also really glad to hear the Backup Mode will still be around. It is huge for me, and that is the biggest criticism I was most curious about regarding your biggest fork for Remastersys, Relinux when I first ran across it was its 'backup' mode. And I agree, the /etc/skel method, if not done correctly, is quite headachy. I still do not quite have it down. Hehe

Well, I cannot wait to see what is in store with Remastersys. Same goes for my grandmother as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks.

I received so many emails from people it was overwhelming. I never realised how many folks were using it successfully as I only get to hear about the problems - lol.

The next version of remastersys will make dist mode much easier while keeping the backup mode as it has always been.

The gui is going to be extended to help folks do some customizations prior to remastering for dist mode.

Beans

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

Btw, my grandmother would like your number!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Cool!
    I've fixed many problems in the /etc/group file, and added a feature for adding extra users in the install.
    You might want to add some extra customization, as you can know when someone used remastersys .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

all the best. i really need remastersys to build my new distro. btw, just for tips, why is it the ISO file is rather large??

Beans

if you wanne try to make it compatible for sabayon (gentoo) i d be happy to test it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by inashdeen View Post
    all the best. i really need remastersys to build my new distro. btw, just for tips, why is it the ISO file is rather large??
    With the size of apps these days it is difficult to keep a live cd under 700MB. I may also need to look at the compression level of mksquashfs. The problem with increasing the compression level is that it can take a long time to decompress on older computers.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast