Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you believe, or experience, ghost(s)?

Beans

Re: Do you believe, or experience, ghost(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    I eventually became the owner of the house. It was a pier-and-beam foundation. When I looked under the house, there was a beam that was under the hallway. Wood has grains that causes it to bend when it swells or contracts from mosture and temperature changes. The beam was poorly supported and free to move. When the temperature changed along with changes in humidity, the beam would bend; thus, causing the sould through friction between the wooden floor and supporting beams.
    that's pretty funny. it actually gave me a sudden, inspiring thought too. if i ever hypothetically became a contractor/construction person, i would be a complete troll and hide some device in one of the walls that makes a slow thudding sound and then the sounds of a little child giggling. i would set it so the device goes off only one night every 3 months at like 3am.

yup, i think i'm going to do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes I do believe and yes... I have seen/felt things... I don't beleive in horror stories though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    Same here. I don't believe there are things floating around yelling "Boo," but there's a lot of stuff I don't understand.

I do have a story however. I have absolutely no clue what this was however. I have this bunk bed, and my room's light is mounted to it. One night, I couldn't sleep, so I flicked the light on. I was sitting there, sort of tired, when I glance at the wall, and see a shadow of some floating medusa-head/bush/jellyfish bobbing around.

I practically had a heart attack. I grabbed a knife and got out of bed, but there was nothing in the room.
    Whether you call it a ghost, or a shadowman, or a demon or whatever then I would lump it under a ghost of some sort or at least a possible paranormal encounter. If nothing else, to give it a fun category
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fatality_uk View Post
    Here's a thought!

Kwabena Boahen, a TED contributor, has proposed that to make a processor as smart as the human brain would require at least 10 megawatts to operate. Even if that's off by a factor of 100, that's still a LOT of energy.

We know energy can't be destroyed, only the state changed.

We know the human brain can survive for many minutes after the body has stopped and still work.

So, when someone dies, on occasion, might that energy be coalesced into a form that potentially still survive and draw further energy to maintain it's form in the same way some interstellar energy clouds have been observed to do.

BAD SCIENCE
    The guys from the paranormal society did say that they had to be careful about powerstations and the like because they seem to attract the ghosts.

I think those guys categorized the spirits by
    • ghost (or shadow) = harmless
    • poltergeist = mischievous
    • demon = dangerous
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Obligatory Geek answer:
    Daemons: Yes, you can schedule anything with xinetd.
    Ghost: No, I use dd.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by fatality_uk View Post
    Here's a thought!

Kwabena Boahen, a TED contributor, has proposed that to make a processor as smart as the human brain would require at least 10 megawatts to operate. Even if that's off by a factor of 100, that's still a LOT of energy.
    Sure but the actual human brain requires a lot less. You only need about 10MJ a day to run your entire body, which even if your body converted it at 100% efficiency (which it doesn't) is an average of about 115W, of which your brain would only be a fraction.

We know energy can't be destroyed, only the state changed.
    Sure, but the energy in your brain is stored in the chemical bonds within and between molecules. The only state they're going to change into is other molecules and waste heat.

We know the human brain can survive for many minutes after the body has stopped and still work.
    It only survives for as long as it has oxygen. Once it uses up all the oxygen in the blood, it's stuffed.

REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD SCIENCE
    FTFY!
    Last edited by Paqman; October 28th, 2011 at 02:11 PM.

Beans

I've seen a ghost and people I know have claim to have seen em.
    for one my brother in law,he was working at Remington Arms is located at 812 Barnum Avenue in Bridgeport Connecticut.while working he said he would hear voices and shadows of people going past a fog thick glass window in a hall way the factory was deserted.the last straw which made him leave the job.he sub contracts,floor coverer.his razor knife which was on the floor slid from one side of the room too the other.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

- I knew a Irish girl who told me that her family experienced a poltergeist. No one was in the kitchen when all of a sudden they head this awful noise, like someone going completely bananas. Plates, cups and stuff were thrown all over the place...

- My neighbour (an old geezer) says he's spoken to dead people, and he also has experienced what he calls "beings of light."

- When I was a kid we lived in this really old mansion for three months. We never experienced anything strange, but the family who lived there after us heard footsteps and stuff at night. Today it is some kind of medical centre, and last winter I spoke with someone who works there. Basically they said the place is haunted, people still hear see and hear strange stuff there...

- There's also a story in my family that goes like this: the mother of my great-grandmother was working in the kitchen when she sees the son of a neighbour walking by the window outside. So later that day when she met her neighbour she greeted her and said, oh, I see your son has returned... Her neighbour got pale and replied, “my son died a few days ago.”

- This isn't the only stories that I've heard. I could easily relate a few more that I've heard directly from people who have had such experiences.

–--

My personal opinion: People see and hear stuff, but it isn't dead people. Dead people go to sleep, and what people experience is in reality spirits/demons who enjoy messing with people.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234