Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso has 'no mountable file systems'?

Beans

Question ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso has 'no mountable file systems'?

I downloaded two instances of ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso (32-bit) from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download. Both .iso files failed to burn to cd. Three coasters. I thought maybe my DVD writer was fried but when I tried to mount the .iso in software, I get a warning that there are 'no mountable file systems'.

Anyone else have this problem or know what the matter is?

I just want to create the CD on this Mac, the install is for an old Gateway with a poisoned boot disk.

Beans

Re: ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso has 'no mountable file systems'?

Has anyone successfully done it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm having the same issue as well.

I installed the dev preview of Windows 8 and am looking to have an external HD install of Ubuntu for the purpose of a virtual XP and the ability to test legacy iterations of IE. Dual boot isn't an option as I don't have the time to do the heavy lifting to try and make it work. Doesn't really make sense since the .iso is either corrupt or some part of the XML is truncated.

As far as the .iso for Ubuntu is concerned, I've tried all 32-bit download methods and get this error when I try to mount the image on OSx and burn it to DVD.

We can't be the only ones experiencing this issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I should add that OSx is unable to verify the image and throws an error stating that the .iso does not contain a recognizable filesystem.

This doesn't really make a ton of sense since it's worked brilliantly in the past.

Beans

I am having the same issue. When I attempt to convert it to an img (per ubuntu instructions) using the hdiutil command, it states that it is NTFS for some reason.

For example:

sh-3.2# hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o /ubuntu.img /Users/username/Downloads/oneiric-desktop-amd64.iso
    Reading Master Boot Record (MBR : 0)…
    Reading Ubuntu 11.10 amd64 (Apple_ISO : 1)…
    Reading (Windows_NTFS_Hidden : 2)…

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I figured out yesterday that it's possible to burn an .iso from Windows and Linux. This seems to be an issue specific to Mac.

I'm on Snow Leopard and have yet to make the leap over to Lion due to Lion's continued bugginess...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AdsoInk View Post
    I figured out yesterday that it's possible to burn an .iso from Windows and Linux. This seems to be an issue specific to Mac.

I'm on Snow Leopard and have yet to make the leap over to Lion due to Lion's continued bugginess...
    You're right - I just copied the iso file over to a Windows XP virtual machine and it works as expected. Can anyone explain this?

I've never had an issue with an iso file on OS X prior to this.

Beans

I'm so glad I'm not the only one having troubles with the ISO. I've spent a week or so trying to sort it out to no avail.

I've been trying to boot my MacBook Pro 3,1 (running Leopard) with the Ubuntu 11.10 (x64) Live CD to see if all of the hardware is detected and works well.

So I downloaded the correct ISO (actually I've downloaded just about all of them now) - ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64+mac.iso and cannot mount it in OSX after the download. I have checked the MD5 and it's correct. I burned the ISO using disk utility anyway and attempted to boot from the CD but it failed. I've taken that same ISO to a Windows XP machine and burned the ISO to CD. The CD boots to Ubuntu from the Windows XP machine so I know that the CD has burned correctly. I then attempted to boot my MacBook Pro with the very same CD and it doesn't detect the disk.

I orginally thought the problem was with my MacBook Pro but now I'm not so sure.

It doesn't matter which ISO I download from Ubuntu (i386 etc) none of them mount.

I downloaded the Ubuntu 10.04 iso and was able to burn that to CD and it even mounts in OSX but when I attempt to boot my MacBook Pro it doesn't see the CD.

I'm stumped. It can't be this hard to boot the Ubuntu Live CD on my MacBook Pro.

Craig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi guys, I'm a happy Mac OS X user on a MacBookPro (since Leopard and now using Lion) and Ubuntu user on custom built box and an old box (since 8.10 and now using 11.10). I have never had any problems with burning the .iso to CD/DVD from the Mac (and I always use the mac to do it as it has the fastest burner in my house).

I'm not trying to be condescending, but your posts are a little unclear. Can you confirm the following please:

1. Are you verifying the .iso download BEFORE trying to burn?
    2. Are you using Disk Utility (rather than just do a normal burn) to correctly burn the .iso to CD/DVD?
    3. Can the target computer boot from a known/trusted CD?

Beans

I can only speak for myself but as I said in my reply ...

1. I have verified the ISO by checking the MD5
    2. I used Disk Utility in Leopard to burn the CD
    3. I have booted my MacBook Pro with the original OS X installer CD and it works fine

Can you advise whether you have successfully booted your MacBook Pro using the Ubuntu 11.10 Live CD? No matter where I burn it (on Windows/Ubuntu/Mac OSX) I cannot boot my MacBook Pro using the Ubuntu 11.10 Live CD.

Thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast