View Poll Results: Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ? Did you encounter problems?

Voters
563. You may not vote on this poll
  • I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered big problems.

35 6.22%
  • I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered some small problems.

77 13.68%
  • I installed Dapper from cd and I haven't encountered any problems at all.

112 19.89%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper using a graphical tool and I have encountered big problems.

75 13.32%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper using a graphical tool and I have encountered some small problems.

68 12.08%
  • I dist-upgraded using a graphical tool and I haven't encountered any problems at all.

32 5.68%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I have encountered big problems.

38 6.75%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I have encountered some small problems.

70 12.43%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I haven't encountered any problems at all.

36 6.39%
  • Other. Please explain.

20 3.55%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: poll : Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ? Did you encounter problems?

RavenOfOdin Guest

Re: poll : Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ? Did you encounter problems?

(EDIT: Never mind, I take that all back Still voted #4 though.)
    Last edited by RavenOfOdin; June 3rd, 2006 at 09:17 AM.

- I did one dist-upgrade and it worked fine, although I wasn't thrilled with the amount of leftover crud I had from the Breezy installation, so I started over from scratch.

- I installed a 6.06 server, then installed xubuntu-desktop. No problems there, either.

- I installed Xubuntu straight from CD and it went very cleanly. I think this might be my preferred method, only because of the amount of time it takes to download a dist-upgrade. I can just blank the partition and start from scratch in about a third of the time it takes to apt-get it all. But that should go without saying.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had no problem with dist-upgrade of a Breezy server install:

changed sources.list to "dapper"
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I started out using Update Manager... it got about two-thirds of the way through, then errored out. I finished via a combination of apt-get and Synaptic. I had a hard time getting past an error about coreutils, which I resolved by removing md5sum.textutils.1.gz. (WTF?)

On that note... does anyone know what package provides ldd? (And for future reference -- how would I find out?) I also had to remove it, to be able to upgrade ia32-libs (I'm running AMD64), but unlike the md5sum man page, it didn't come back.

Despite a rocky process, everything seems to be working OK now.

Edit: Spoke too soon... I also had to reinstall OpenOffice.
    Last edited by wmcbrine; June 3rd, 2006 at 11:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I have encountered big problems. It keprt saying i had problems with xconfig, ive never looked at that and couldnt get on the internet to try and solve it. luckily I'd already burnt the dapper disk and installed from there with no problems at all

Beans
    Hidden!

i used the update manager on two machines and had no problems at all - even with a ton of other apps running.

Beans

I dist-upgraded from breezy to dapper yesterday using the terminal and encountered a small depencency problem. Some old package I had installed that had been around since I had Hoary was causing it.

Because of that problem it seemed the upgrade process stopped halfway through, so I ran
    "sudo apt-get install -f"
    then again:
    "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"
    to make sure, but I dunno if that second command was needed or if it did anything at all.

Then I used synaptic to remove the package which was causing problems, and everything now seems to be working great. Apart from that, there were no problems at all.

Ya know... in case anyone's wondering.

Just FYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I actually did both.

I dist-upgraded my breezy, but since I got my new hardware yesterday I reinstalled dapper fresh and clean.

I dist-upgraded using apt and I only encountered small problems during the upgrade. (one dpkg installed .deb needed to be removed to be able to continue). After the upgrade everything just worked except for gdm.

I reinstalled the graphical way. It was completely painless. Really no problems at all. The partitioning was confusing at first since I'd never used gparted before but after having a look at aysiu's installation guide that was easy as well.

I'm happily running my new dapper install now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wmcbrine
    On that note... does anyone know what package provides ldd?
    To answer my own question: It's in libc6. I still don't know how to search the database for a provided file, though (I just looked at some likely packages). I know how to do it for RPM, but that doesn't help me here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by wmcbrine
    To answer my own question: It's in libc6. I still don't know how to search the database for a provided file, though (I just looked at some likely packages). I know how to do it for RPM, but that doesn't help me here.
    You can install 'apt-file'.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install apt-file
    You can search the packages for a filename after you've updated apt-file:

Code:
    sudo apt-file update
    Code:
    apt-file search {filename}

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast