View Poll Results: Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ? Did you encounter problems?

Voters
563. You may not vote on this poll
  • I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered big problems.

35 6.22%
  • I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered some small problems.

77 13.68%
  • I installed Dapper from cd and I haven't encountered any problems at all.

112 19.89%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper using a graphical tool and I have encountered big problems.

75 13.32%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper using a graphical tool and I have encountered some small problems.

68 12.08%
  • I dist-upgraded using a graphical tool and I haven't encountered any problems at all.

32 5.68%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I have encountered big problems.

38 6.75%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I have encountered some small problems.

70 12.43%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I haven't encountered any problems at all.

36 6.39%
  • Other. Please explain.

20 3.55%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: poll : Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ? Did you encounter problems?

Beans

Re: poll : Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ? Did you encounter problems?

I had absolutely no problems with installing dapper. I popped in the i386 desktop cd, went straight to the graphical install, partitioned my hard drive, and installed the system. I don't think it took me more than 20 minutes. No bugs, ever. Plus, I installed the release candidate version, and then just downloaded all the updates.

GREAT JOB DAPPER DEVS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I did encounter some small problems when dist-upgrading to dapper.
    Mplayer did not work, gnomebaker did ont encode mp3's anymore. I fixed them, but should not be nescecary (?). (Fixed them by installing other packages, reïnstalling, trying different options).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I dist-upgraded using the terminal and a 6.06 DVD image (I'm on dialup, so over the net wasn't an option). Upgrade went off without a hitch. It killed the nvidia driver, so I had to drop back to 'nv' and download and install the new one (for the newer kernel), tho I must say this wasn't unexpected.

The only problem I've had is that automounting of USB removable drives no longer works (flash and HDD). I have to plug the device in and then do a 'sudo mount -a' to get the drive to pop up. Not a major issue, but mildly irritating. Still haven't been able to find a fix after a month. If someone HAS fixed this, please drop me a line? I've checked the other forums and topics and haven't come across any that work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I dist-upgraded three machines from Breezy to Dapper using apt-get and the alternate CD (and the Internet).

Machine 1: IBM ThinkPad T42 laptop. No big problems. XGL won't work with the damn ATI board, and now my Gnome settings are buggered up a bit: it takes several minutes for Gnome to load after logging in (panel, etc.), and windows aren't positioned on the screen correctly. The new Network Manager works great with WPA-- no more fiddling with wpa_supplicant! I like how the hardware volume buttons now adjust the master volume, but dislike how the brightness and other OSDs have disappeared (too lazy to debug this).

Machine 2: Athlon 64 desktop (32-bit Ubuntu). No problems. XGL works fine (nVidia hardware).

Machine 3: small form factor, headless: I dist-upgraded over a VNC session (which was very nice). After rebooting, vncserver, mysql-server, k3b, and kaudiocreator were no longer installed. The upgrade also destroyed rc.local and a file I put in /etc/init.d! Having some compatibility problems with MySQL 5, but those aren't Ubuntu's fault.

All in all, a fairly smooth transition. When I dist-upgraded my laptop from Hoary to Breezy, everything got broken and I had to install it fresh, which cost me nearly a full day and almost sent me back to Gentoo or (perish the thought) Fedora.
    Last edited by Mirko; July 2nd, 2006 at 05:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

I upgraded via terminal. There were some very annoying problems, but I managed to fix it.

I made sure I have kubuntu-desktop installed, then started upgrading.

First, there were some seemingly broken dependencies with one of 'twisted' packages. I use them to run Galaxy Mage. I had to uninstall twisted, and reinstall it later, after upgrade. It worked allright at that point.

Most of packages were downloaded, but I had to install KDE manually. I installed ubuntu-base and kde-desktop.
    KDE launched, but it was broken. I couldn't run any app, and there were errors about no mime types installed etc. Basically KDE was totally broken. However, I was able to run wolfenstein:enemy territory from a konsole open since breezy (session restored), and it worked fine.
    This led me to believe it was just KDE improperly installed. So I installed some random packages with kde name in them, especially kde-core. Still nothing.
    Then I got angry and installed whole kde metapackage. Now it works great, except I got a lot of unwanted software along with KDE metapackage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I originally upgraded through the terminal. That worked fine for a little while until things started falling apart with firefox crashing all the time and eventually being unalbe to boot. So I gave the fresh install from cd a try and I was never able to get internet working, I got kicked off the internet once I did one thing online despite having no internet problems with breezy, my earlier upgrade to dapper, or running off the dapper cd, so Im reinstalling breezy right now and am hoping that I can get the next release to work better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I reinstalled, and actually everything works great now, much better than Breezey. The problem was that ubuntu didn't use the biggest free space like I told it to, instead, it decided that it was a good idea to eat 30 GB of music by formatting the whole disk.
    Anyway... Sigh....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by dashnak View Post
    I reinstalled, and actually everything works great now, much better than Breezey. The problem was that ubuntu didn't use the biggest free space like I told it to, instead, it decided that it was a good idea to eat 30 GB of music by formatting the whole disk.
    Anyway... Sigh....
    And you consider this not a problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Actually I answered "I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered big problems." Of course I consider this a VERY BIG problem, and me as well as my sis were royally pissed off at this....
    But hey, what can I do now? I had no backup save for the complete discography of David Bowie and some tribute albums...
    So hey, what the hell.... I can always get everyhting again.... I was thinking that it was time to renew my library actually....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by dashnak View Post
    Actually I answered "I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered big problems." Of course I consider this a VERY BIG problem, and me as well as my sis were royally pissed off at this....
    But hey, what can I do now? I had no backup save for the complete discography of David Bowie and some tribute albums...
    So hey, what the hell.... I can always get everyhting again.... I was thinking that it was time to renew my library actually....
    I would be devastated if that happened to me. My data are more important than any OS and most of them I can't find anywhere else, so I always keep a synced backup on a second PC.

So... with 476 votes about 26% of the installations resulted to big problems and another 38% resulted to small problems. I wish there were more answers but this certainly doesn't look good for dapper.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast