View Poll Results: Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ? Did you encounter problems?

Voters
563. You may not vote on this poll
  • I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered big problems.

35 6.22%
  • I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered some small problems.

77 13.68%
  • I installed Dapper from cd and I haven't encountered any problems at all.

112 19.89%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper using a graphical tool and I have encountered big problems.

75 13.32%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper using a graphical tool and I have encountered some small problems.

68 12.08%
  • I dist-upgraded using a graphical tool and I haven't encountered any problems at all.

32 5.68%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I have encountered big problems.

38 6.75%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I have encountered some small problems.

70 12.43%
  • I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I haven't encountered any problems at all.

36 6.39%
  • Other. Please explain.

20 3.55%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: poll : Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ? Did you encounter problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

poll : Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ? Did you encounter problems?

Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ?

IMHO in most of the cases update-manager (or another graphical tool) works easy and fine to dist-upgrade.
    IMHO in most of the cases in which update-manager (or another graphical tool) doesn't work upgrading by hand is not very hard. Especially if you read these before upgrading :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperUpgrades
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185467

IMHO the amount of people who have big problems is not very high. But it seems high because :
    -(let's say) 5% of our users is still more than 1000 people.
    -people with problems are naturally more vocale here than people without problems. Because if you don't have problems there isn't much to talk about. So those 5% of users may seem to be 10% of our users if you look at the amount of threads about people with problems.

But I could be completely wrong. That's why I started this poll. To get an idea about real percentages.

The choices :

*I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered big problems.
    *I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered some small problems.
    *I installed Dapper from cd and I haven't encountered any problems at all.
    *I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper using a graphical tool and I have encountered big problems.
    *I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper using a graphical tool and I have encountered some small problems.
    *I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper using a graphical tool and I haven't encountered any problems at all.
    *I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I have encountered big problems.
    *I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I have encountered some small problems.
    *I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I haven't encountered any problems at all.
    *Other

Here is a thread which with help :
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=187656

Please post your tips and/or fixes here :
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1086319

edit:
    haven't encountered big problems should be have encountered big problems(twice)
    Last edited by ubuntu_demon; June 4th, 2006 at 10:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: poll : Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ? Did you encounter problems?

Tried dist-upgrade from earlier flights, and it went fine. also did a fresh install from cd it went fine. *results not typical* every enduser will exprince something diffrent, from whatever method they use.

Just my thoughts...
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans

Typicly, a fresh install is better in my experience. I am downloading the iso right now, and will do that when it's done.

FYI, been with dapper since flight 3 without any fresh installing, and it's run spectacularly the whole time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

dist-upgraded on three different machines. Two of them went without a hitch, the third had an issue with the nvidia drivers that was easily fixed.
    Edubuntu
    Toshiba 2800 s201 no sound!
    Gateway Solo 1450 no issues
    Ubuntu
    Toshiba 1115 s103 no issues
    3 PCs no issues
    Xubuntu
    Dell Inspiron 4100 no issues
    Thinkpad 600e no issues

Ubuntu Gaming Goodness

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I originally upgrade Breezy to Dapper (last weekend), however that made my system unusable. I then used the RC ISO and did a clean install and that has been almost perfect.

Just had an issue with my ati graphics card. It installed ok, recognises my graphics card ok, and indeed works ok too ...until I try putting one of my other pc's desktops on to gui's F9-F12. They just topple over and plonk me back on to my F7 desktop again. So I reconfigure my graphics to use vesa and this time there are no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I installed Dapper from cd and I haven't encountered any problems at all.
    Well, my sound didn't work, but I found that default selected sound device was not correct. So I just selected another device and it worked
    I don't think that can be counted as a problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

the laptop i ordered, with dapper installed, is due to arrive in the next week sometime.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I dist-upgraded from breezy to dapper at about feature-freeze time, and encountered some minor problems. That was in march, though, mind you.

of course, I might not know what i'm missing, since apparently the cool kids are no longer using apt-get dist-upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I was about to try an install - still I cannot boot from the cd without playing around with boot parameters. That's a bit disappointing.
    I guess, I'll wait another two weeks or so for switching my production machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I voted other because I am yet to upgrade to Dapper. The reason? I connect via dial-up at home and I cannot upgrade via apt-get dist-upgrade because it will take an eternity. I downloaded the Dapper ISO and tried upgrading to Dapper by adding it as a repo in Synaptic but someone in the forums said this is no longer possible using the Alternate CD (Live and Install CD of Dapper). Is this really not possible guys? Do I really have to choose either to install a fresh copy of Dapper or upgrade via apt-get dist-upgrade via a broadband connection?
    I abhor averages. I like the individual case. A man may have six meals one day and none the next, making an average of three meals per day, but that is not a good way to live. --Louis D. Brandeis

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast