Thread: Unable to logon to main user in LightDM after changing graphics drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Unable to logon to main user in LightDM after changing graphics drivers

Hi All. I've found a few similar threads, but nothing quite like my own. I'll try to be as specific as possible:

After installing proprietary drivers from ATIs website to replace the proprietary drivers I had installed from the "Additional Drivers" menu, I was unable to login at all after rebooting. After searching a few forums I changed the xorg.conf "Driver" entry in the "Device" section from "fglrx" to "radeon".

This solved my initial problem... I could now login. This is when the actual problem started: I decided to try to remove the proprietary drivers completely and get "full" support from the ATI open source drivers. After following some commands on forums and rebooting, I was able to reach lighDM, but not able to login! After entering my password it would briefly switch to a black screen and then return to lightDM, once again requesting a password. I was able to login from the terminal using Ctrl-Alt-F1. Tried to get help, but to no avail... I managed to create a new user account (using the Ctrl-Alt-F1 terminal) from which I am able to login, but I still can't login to my main account using lightDM!?

Please help. It would be much appreciated.

(Running Ubuntu 11.10 on a Toshiba Satellite notebook.)
    Last edited by unobtruse; October 27th, 2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans

Re: Unable to logon to main user in LightDM after changing graphics drivers

I have a similar issue with a non discrete graphics card, the 5770HD and opened a new thread earlier today.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1870231

When I boot normally, I get a blank screen and can't even switch to the text based consoles.
    If I go into the grub menu at boot time, select recovery console, then wait for the menu to appear and select Resume normal boot, it works like a charm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Unable to logon to main user in LightDM after changing graphics drivers

Thanks W00ster, I'll check it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: Unable to logon to main user in LightDM after changing graphics drivers

I managed to fix my problem by removing the
    Code:
    /home/username/.Xauthorization
    configuration file (where username is my account username). Clearly X got caught up in something in between all the changes I recklessly made.