Thread: Mouse moves down to lower corners on its own

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Mouse moves down to lower corners on its own

I've seen my mouse exhibit the most strangest behavior. It seems to be drawn to move, on it's own, without any action on my part, to the lower left hand corner of my screen. At first I thought it was just happening in Firefox but today I noticed it also happens when I'm viewing the desktop. I have to play this game of tug of war with the mouse cursor to regain control of it for awhile. In addition to that if it stays there too long my whole system freezes up and the keyboard becomes unresponsive as well. What could be causing this cursed, cursor drift?

The mouse is a Microsoft Comfort 3000. A previous mouse, which was a kind of a custom job by the manufacturer of my machine, also exhibited such behavior after a period of time being with Ubuntu. How can I determine if it's an issue with the mouse drivers? I've tried systems testing with no answers coming from it. I've also looked into Mouse Properties in Systems Settings with no visible possibilities.
    Last edited by PayPaul; October 27th, 2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Additional information
    When in doubt, check it out!

If all else fails, check the plug!

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Mouse moves down to lower corners on its own

I don't usually care for bumping threads but my mouse is still acting up. I notice it most when I open up Mozilla but it does occasionally do the same things ie: move to lower left hand corner on its own, even when only the desktop is showing. Could this be a resource problem?

Beans

Re: Mouse moves down to lower corners on its own

I would like to see someone respond to this as well. I've been dealing with this for over a year, and it seems to be getting worse.

Question for the original poster: Is your mouse plugged into a USB hub or directly into your computer? Also, what type of computer?

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit on a Sony Vaio VPCF136FM i7 Laptop. I use a F5U403-BLK Belkin 4 port USB 2.0 hub. Only the keyboard and mouse are plugged into it.

In addition to the problems with the mouse, every 50 characters or so the keyboard skips rendering a key so a word is missing a letter like ths. Very annoying. Not sure if you have this too or just the mouse issues.

I couldn't find anything on drivers being the issue, but I did try slowing the speed of the mouse and adjusting the repeat keypress durations in the settings. No luck.

Hopefully this info will help this get some attention.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Mouse moves down to lower corners on its own

Your mouse and keyboard issues could be related to the hub. Is it self powered? It could be an issue of power to those devices or a more deeper bios issue. My mouse issues have more or less disappeared when I replaced my CMOS battery. My old one was weak and thus BIOS settings were being lost almost at every bootup. A good number of booting and other issues as well were resolved.