Thread: Should I upgrade? Lubuntu? My Laptop is too slow...

Beans

Should I upgrade? Lubuntu? My Laptop is too slow...

I thought I'd post it in here, as my issue is -somewhat- similar.

I bought myself a netbook, the Samsung NC110 (new) with Intel Atom 550 and 1GB DDR3 Ram. I decided to use ubuntu instead of the Windows 7 Starter Edition.
    I have roughly 230gigs of HDD space, 2GB swap space.
    -> amazon link

I haven't installed anything yet, just the pre-installed applications that come with 11.10 and I find my netbook acting up and slowing down far more than with Windows, which is scary.

For example, update manager keeps freezing and unfreezing- best thing to do is click-and-wait. I can only actually update via the option in the top right corner of the taskbar (Unity I believe?).

Firefox isn't the fastest, which I guess is down to the RAM, however after every single reboot Firefox has to restore the previous session rather than continue it ("Well, thats embarrassing ..etc") which suggests that it crashes upon shutdown or even when closing via X.

Then I have tried using Gnome-Shell with different themes, and I had so many issues that require a thread by themselves- also noone else seemed to have the problems I had. I now switched back to Unity by I cannot say how much I hate the dock bar..

I aim to use the netbook for office (mainly word and powerpoint, whatever the LibreOffice equivalents are) and for web design, that is simple code editors- no heavy stuff. Music yes, videos, movies, games- no thank you.

I thought by using Ubuntu (once again) I would get around bying the 2GB Ram upgrade, now it seems ubuntu needs it even more than windows- what am I doing wrong?!
    Do I really have to use Lubuntu? It is a quite new netbook after all, not a 128Ram machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Should I upgrade? Lubuntu? My Laptop is too slow...

Quote Originally Posted by ursath View Post
    I have moved your post into its own thread since your hardware is different.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello and Welcome to Ubuntu Forum

It's better to start a new thread and choose [lubuntu] as your prefix but it's ok, I requested that from the moderators so hope they will do it for you

I thought by using Ubuntu (once again) I would get around bying the 2GB Ram upgrade, now it seems ubuntu needs it even more than windows- what am I doing wrong?!
    Do I really have to use Lubuntu? It is a quite new netbook after all, not a 128Ram machine.
    Problem is not with RAM only, your CPU is designed to work on mini netbook with minimum performance. Keep in mind that the more cache memory you have, the faster speed you get beside some other factors.

Yes, Lubuntu would be the prefect solution for that

Please see the link on my signature, it has most of the information you need

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I have moved your post into its own thread since your hardware is different.
    Many thanks my old good friend

Beans

Thank you very much for the kind moderating!
    @amjjawad: I am worried that Lubuntu will prove a lot harder to get support on as it is a smaller community- I have only ever used Ubuntu and to see the huge differences just between KDE and Gnome, I am worried that Lubuntu would leave me with a much smaller pool of resources (I am happy to be proven wrong).
    Also, how adaptable is the interface? I don't like any of the advertised Lubuntu screens (taskbar at the bottom, light theme etc. (are big theme packages disabled to increase performance maybe?)) I am just a web designer sorry!

Beans
    Distro

@amjjawad: I am worried that Lubuntu will prove a lot harder to get support on as it is a smaller community- I have only ever used Ubuntu and to see the huge differences just between KDE and Gnome, I am worried that Lubuntu would leave me with a much smaller pool of resources (I am happy to be proven wrong).
    Why to worry? I'm not going to show off or talk about Lubuntu Team, I'll let our actions speak louder than our words
    Lubuntu is still considered to be a new project that prove itself strong and made it through the official title as a variant of Ubuntu. For many if not most, this is a huge achievement.

Now, let's talk a bit serious. What variant of Ubuntu is able to breath a new life into 10 years old laptop with less than 128MB of RAM and P2 CPU? the answer is: Lubuntu, period.

What variant of Ubuntu is super fast and easy to use? Lubuntu.

And there are many other things you will discover yourself

What resources are you looking for? it's an official variant of Ubuntu that uses the same repositories and same core, it's just the DE and the default programs which are different.
    You can join the mailing list and ask there. You can show up on our IRC Channel, you can start a thread here and use [lubuntu] prefix and I'm here almost the whole day, if not me, many others are there. What could be better than that?

Also, how adaptable is the interface? I don't like any of the advertised Lubuntu screens (taskbar at the bottom, light theme etc. (are big theme packages disabled to increase performance maybe?)) I am just a web designer sorry!
    Very interesting. If you are a web designer, I'm sure you know that you can change whatever you don't like in few seconds. This is Linux and everything is possible.
    I, for example, don't care much about themes and stuff but I do care about a solid stable system that gives me most if not all what I'm looking for. However, I like to customize my desktop and have two panels, one at the top, one is the default at the bottom.

You could install Cairo-Dock if you like. Even Compiz with some configuration will work.

I know some users spend some time to change the default look the way they want and I see nothing wrong in that. The question is: How easy that will be? the answer is: Very easy!

Themes have nothing to do with performance. I've been using Lubuntu for quite some time and just like many others, I didn't have serious problems.
    I started with Ubuntu but I don't really need all that fancy stuff. Since they have gone so 3D with Unity and stuff, I found yet another reason to stick with LXDE and Lubutnu.

Please, feel free to ask whatever you want to know and I'll be so much happy to answer your questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

openbox-themes package provides themes that lxde uses, panels can be moved around with no problem. Lxde is simple but not rigid.

Beans

Thank you very much for your kind answers. I have replaced ubuntu with lubuntu 11.10 now- and I am thrilled about the increase in performance. The issues with not being able to adjust screen brightness remain, however as I had expected I do quite dislike the desktop environment pre-installed.
    The reason why I mentioned that I am a web designer is that I work on the server and clientside of an interface, using much lighter scripting (I think "scripkiddie" is the term) compared to programming in linux.
    For example, I am aware that I can install compiz on lubuntu, install gnome themes or many other gtk2 themes. What I can't find after googling for 2 days now is, how much does that affect the performance? Isnt the LXDE the reason for increased performance in the first place?
    The wiki-articles are clearly aimed at people who don't want to see the terminal in their life, so very vague and lacking the information I would like to see about what exactly is lightweight about it and WHY.
    I don't like gnome classic and I don't need fancy docks, though I am open to try it again and see whether it suits me better now that I am working on a netbook and not on a desktop, where I find dockbars stupifying. I would like to have the taskbar at the top of the page and adapt it as much as I like, as well as a dark-coloured theme similar to unity.
    Apart from the annoying dock on the left, I loved unity in terms of the sleek design and the changing taskbar at the top, that would switch from the standard panel to the firefox options panel if firefox was maximized for example- very very very space-efficient... and I have no idea how to get it without installing unity (which I do not want due to the amount of fancy functions, dockbar and performance issues).
    Sorry about the long post, didn't intend to write so much!
    Last edited by ursath; October 28th, 2011 at 12:42 PM.

Beans

:s

Beans
    Distro

Thank you very much for your kind answers.
    Anytime and sorry for being late, I'm very busy with too many stuff.

I have replaced ubuntu with lubuntu 11.10 now- and I am thrilled about the increase in performance.
    I'm glad to know that. Thanks for using Lubuntu

The issues with not being able to adjust screen brightness remain
    I assume it's a laptop, right?

however as I had expected I do quite dislike the desktop environment pre-installed.
    You can change it the way you want. With Linux, everything and anything is possible

What I can't find after googling for 2 days now is, how much does that affect the performance? Isnt the LXDE the reason for increased performance in the first place?
    LXDE is designed to be light on computer resources and the high speed performance is one of LXDE priorities. As a trade off, you may lose some high quality graphics and stuff. For me, I like simple and easy DEs.

ANYTHING will add some load on your CPU will definitely change the performance. It depends on your machine. I'm using now Lubutnu 11.04 on P4 with 2GB RAM and this machine is 5+ years and it's really fast with Lubuntu.

Themes and stuff should not make any big difference. However, Compiz will do but I've seen a YouTube Video for a user who was running Compiz on Arch Linux on a very old machine.

The wiki-articles are clearly aimed at people who don't want to see the terminal in their life, so very vague and lacking the information I would like to see about what exactly is lightweight about it and WHY.
    Since I joined LXDE and Lubutnu Team, I'm very keen to do something different and one of my plans is the Wiki Area. However, that will take more time because most of the time, I'm helping many users on the forum so I don't have time even to sleep :/ I'm sleeping 3-4 hours daily for the last week now. I'm enjoying it though.

On my signature, please see "Lubuntu One Step Thread". I'm trying to build one thread with too many information. One day, that thread will be more than enough for anyone who is asking about Lubuntu

I don't like gnome classic and I don't need fancy docks, though I am open to try it again and see whether it suits me better now that I am working on a netbook and not on a desktop, where I find dockbars stupifying.
    You can install Cairo-Dock on Lubuntu it works out of the box.

I would like to have the taskbar at the top of the page and adapt it as much as I like, as well as a dark-coloured theme similar to unity.
    This is my top LXPanel (not taskbar by the way)

Theme: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=128143

Apart from the annoying dock on the left, I loved unity in terms of the sleek design and the changing taskbar at the top, that would switch from the standard panel to the firefox options panel if firefox was maximized for example- very very very space-efficient... and I have no idea how to get it without installing unity (which I do not want due to the amount of fancy functions, dockbar and performance issues).
    As I mentioned, with Linux, anything and everything is possible. You can customize your desktop the way you want
    However, if you are trying to make Lubuntu Desktop looks just like Unity, then I suggest to use Ubutnu because that will save your time. Point is, keep it simple and light

Sorry about the long post, didn't intend to write so much!
    Never be sorry please. I'm here to help you and anyone who is interested about Lubuntu