Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean install of 11.10 -- then to gnome-shell -- beautiful, smoothly running... but..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Clean install of 11.10 -- then to gnome-shell -- beautiful, smoothly running... but..

Clean install of 11.10 on a new (alternate) partition --
    then installed gnome-shell -- gnome shell DID work, wonderfully. (the CORRECT VERSION)
    all is beautiful, and smoothly running... but..

not sure what this is really... this seems like a mix between the old gnome (2?) and gnome3's gnome-shell.

(i hope i did the screenshot correctly, attachment-manager said max width was 1024, i stuck to that..)

i just want gnome-shell back.... the one where u hover on the "activities" menu in the top-left corner to bring up ur screen dashboard-like gui.. --with the scrollable workspace switcher on the right..

it worked very well not too long ago, but now after reboot, its gone...

im not sure what happened, trying to figure out what was installed... random stuff, like i uninstalled, and then re-installed wine n some other things..

i did however install gtweakui -- which i actually havent done anything with yet... maybe that caused something.. but it should have gone by my old settings, stored in my home dir. (shared across platforms)

also, i enabled the addl FGLX driver, to see if it was compatible with gnome-shell and my gfx card yet----its not... that did give me a problem right before this happened, so this could be related too... i enabled it, restarted, booted back up and it looked like crap (what i expected from the propitery driver, same as last time i tried it, on 11.04) --so, i went to disable it, and it said it wasnt enabled--- ODD.. bec it sure as hell looks that way!-- so i enabled it AGAIN, rebooted, THEN it allowed me to disable it.. restarted, and here i am, with crap gnome-unity-mix thing... lol

i usually dont post questions often, unless im really stumped... and unfortunately, this is the case... i TRIED searching around a bit to try and figure it out, but im not really sure WHAT exactly i should be trying to search FOR... --point being, i did TRY-- before anyone trys to say i didnt and should have..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by snoopy-2009; October 26th, 2011 at 05:10 AM.
    Work: 3-60.com - 3-60 Creative, Design, Hosting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Clean install of 11.10 -- then to gnome-shell -- beautiful, smoothly running... b

alt+r-click

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Clean install of 11.10 -- then to gnome-shell -- beautiful, smoothly running... b

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    alt+r-click

thanks! lol simple answer for that one...

Now, does anyone know how i can get the gnome-shell gui back ?

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Clean install of 11.10 -- then to gnome-shell -- beautiful, smoothly running... b

into a terminal:

gnome-shell --replace

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy-2009 View Post
    thanks! lol simple answer for that one...

Now, does anyone know how i can get the gnome-shell gui back ?
    From the lightdm or gdm login screen you should have a little icon that opens a menu that allows you to select GNOME or GNOME classic, the GNOME entry is the shell.

If you select the shell, and end up in classic it is usually a problem with the video configuration.

Unless you use ATI/AMD video opening Additional Drivers (jockey-gtk) and installing the suggested driver usually cures it.
    Last edited by cbowman57; October 26th, 2011 at 01:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

From the lightdm or gdm login screen you should have a little icon that opens a menu that allows you to select GNOME or GNOME classic, the GNOME entry is the shell.
    thanks for the help i appreciate the response. yup, i am aware of this-- and i tried that before posting, surprisingly, it WAS on classic when i checked, but i selected just GNOME, semi-releived thinking that was gonna be the answer... but it wasnt... as u said next..

If you select the shell, and end up in classic it is usually a problem with the video configuration.
    so i take it that must be it?

but this following solution wont work for me, as my proprietary graphics driver (FGLRX i think?) is incompatible with something..... i dont remember to what exactly, but i know gnome-shell and this other gnome--just gnome3 w/o shell--both are completely unuseable once activated...

Unless you use ATI/AMD video opening Additional Drivers (jockey-gtk) and installing the suggested driver usually cures it.
    and, lastly, i'm not entirely clear on what you're saying there..?

in my experience, and thinking back more relating to when i struggled with getting that proprietary-driver installed, then uninstalled (once realized its still just as incompatible) what i'm thinking happened must have been to do with that situation.

so my question is, is there a way to find out a log of what the additional-drivers-program did during that process..? it just must be missing something...

or what if i remove and purge gnome-shell, and reinstall again? (or, better yet, could i just reinstall even without removing all the packages to redownload? --or would that need to be done as well, just to be sure nothing got corrupted there at the same time?)

if theres any specific output you'd like me to print, let me know..

thanks again

--
    3:Sixty Creative, Design, Hosting.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    into a terminal:

gnome-shell --replace

sorry didnt see ur post there..

this returns the following for me, any ideas how to solve this problem? -- maybe reinstalling gnome-shell as i questioned above?

Code:
    :~# gnome-shell --replace
    gnome-shell: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    --
    3:Sixty Creative, Design, Hosting.

Beans

Hi,

I have the same problem on my VPC Z21 Vaiio laptop.

On LightDM login, Unity is ok, but not for me. Gnome don't launch gnome-shell but a strange and limited Classic Gnome.

Code:
    $ gnome-shell --replace
    failed to create drawable

(gnome-shell:10791): Clutter-CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize Clutter: Unable to select the newly created GLX context
    Erreur du gestionnaire de fenêtres*: Unable to initialize Clutter.
    and

Code:
    $ lspci|grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    Any suggestion?

Beans
    Distro

@snoopy-2009, I haven't used ATI in years, just about all the success stories I've read using ATI with the shell mention they end up using the open source drivers. I don't know how many choices you have or how to accomplish them.

@zebx, it probably booted Unity-2D for you & is likely video driver related.

Beans

@zebx, it probably booted Unity-2D for you & is likely video driver related.
    Many thanks for your feedback.
    Could you show me the way to resolve that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast