I'm running a dual-boot machine with Win7 Ultimate 64bit and Ubuntu 11.10 32bit, both kept up-to-date. Now the weird problem is that I don't get any sound at all except in Ubuntu. Everything works fine here, but Win7 is silent since a couple of days. At first I thought it was a Win7 problem, but it isn't. And I don't have a dedicated sound card but am using onboard/internal sound.

In the meantime I've installed several others Linux distros (the latest versions of Zenwalk, Vector Linux, and anti-X to be precise) instead of Ubuntu, and I didn't get any sound at all in any of them. So I've now re-installed Ubuntu 11.04 from scratch and have I sound again, yet still only in Ubuntu and not Win7. And I've also installed Win7 from scratch, just to be sure.

Still having that problem. Searching around the web showed that a similar problem occured with Ubuntu 9.10, but the solutions provided back then don't work for 11.04; https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/453395

The suggested solution that seemed to work back then was to edit /etc/init.d/alsa-utils, and comment the 378th line: > # mute_and_zero_levels "$TARGET_CARD" || EXITSTATUS=1

Strangely, there is no alsa-utils in the described location or anywhere else. The only alsa-related files are alsa-store and alsa-restore.