Thread: broken laptop hinge

Beans

broken laptop hinge

I have a system76 laptop that is about 4 years old. It is a 15" and I believe it is a Serval, but I am not 100% sure. At any rate, after a few years of very good service, and some unfortunate falls over the years, which had cracked the plastic around the hinge, the actual metal hinge itself has broken. Now I cant really close the laptop for fear that I will make it worse. I am sure I am way outside of any warranty I once had, and I am thinking I may need to get a new laptop finally, but I was wondering if there was any way to order a new part to fix it up?

Also, I was wondering if the newer models have better hinges. I have seen the same thing happen on two friend's Dell Latitudes, so it seems to be a big problem with laptops of that era. It looks like System76 and other manufacturers have a different style of hinge now, but I didnt know if this was the reason. Hopefully it is.

Thanks

Beans

Re: broken laptop hinge

Actually, it looks like my laptop is a gazelle... it looks just like the pictures in the post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=hinge (yeah yeah, I should have searched more before posting). Anyway, I guess Ill go ahead and follow the advice there and email system76 directly.

I know I should remember what model laptop I own, but with like 4 moves, downsizing and getting rid of paperwork, having my laptop stolen and returned by the police after being used as evidence, and changing my email provider so that I no longer can find the receipt, I'd say its at least somewhat understandable...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tgoff
    I should remember what model laptop I own,
    If your machine is not too old, the display panel for the 76 driver may tell you the model. In Lucid or before, click System > Administration > System 76 Driver.

In Natty or Oneiric, type "driver" into the search box and choose System 76.

Beans

thanks, the system 76 driver did the trick and told me my laptop is a gazelle value.