Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KDE Plasma Workspace is CONSTANTLY crashing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: KDE Plasma Workspace is CONSTANTLY crashing!

No. I find the open source drivers to be much more stable. And by minimal, I mean kde-plasma-desktop with minimal set of applications.
    Bring Chrome to the Software Center. Now.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1186564

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So it's not Kubuntu desktop? If so then this is not really a Kubuntu issue.

Ok even if you think it is, you are not using the product as it was made huh?

KDE forums reply quite fast. if this is only some basic KDE plasma desktop, they will be able to help you better maybe. Or they will just bounce you back here like they did me. Still i would give it a try. Especially since as i understand it's the KDE that is crashing.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by linuxuser12345 View Post
    No. I find the open source drivers to be much more stable.
    OK, did you mean to say that you did install drivers, and they were the open source ones, or did you mean to say that you didn't install drivers, period?
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Distro

I am having to re-format my whole hard drive. I installed the proprietary driver, and it caused my system to seriously lag. I uninstalled it, and now my computer has crashed!

OMG Why can't Canonical allow beta testing on Ubuntu releases to last a few more months? Every time a new release comes out, it is so bogged down with bugs it's unbearable!

Beans
    Distro

I would refer you to a specific quote from a certain person's forum signature I saw quite recently.
    Start from scratch.

Does you computer have the guts to handle KDE? If you have the GPU for desktop effects, but not the RAM or processor speed, your computer will certainly lag once you install GPU drivers because it will turn all sorts of fancy things on once it detects that your driver supports it. You CPU is only 800 Mhz; red flag.

Exactly how it was lagging and how much it was lagging can tell you alot about what is wrong with a computer. If it was lagging but with short spurts of high performance you just need to press Alt+Shift+F12, which turns desktop effects off. If it was just plain out cruddy performance, try to see if it still happens from a Live CD and even a different OS or distro.

There could be some process hogging your system. Next time you're having the problem, get to a command line and type:
    Code:
    to find out if there's any malicious programs running. (I consider a program to be "Malicious" in Linux if it's hogging system resources or affecting other programs in a bad way, as opposed to being synonymous with "virus" in the Windows world.)
    Good luck,
    - search
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM

Beans
    Distro

I definitely have the guts to run KDE. My computer has an ATI Radeon HD GPU, an AMD Athlon II x3 processor, and 4GB DDR3 RAM. I will try re-installing KDE and seeing if I have the same problem, since I have re-formatted my HDD.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, and let us know if my other suggestions work as well.

Beans
    Distro

The exact same problem after formatting my HDD multiple times.

Beans
    Distro

OK, but does it happen from a Live CD? does it happen without desktop effects as I described? you need to read my previous post and then post back. Especially with the "top" command.
    With 11.10, I've been getting KWin crashes and major lagging every time I activate a taskbar thumbnail or Side-by-side desktops. So try 11.04 too.
    - search

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12