Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interrupted update to 11.10, now computer wont boot. fix?

Beans

Exclamation Interrupted update to 11.10, now computer wont boot. fix?

Hi all,

I started the download and upgrade to 11.10 from 11.04 on root account then I went to a guest account to continue my work/play/whatever while the root account installed the packages I logged out of the guest account later, and the computer didnt respond so I did a hard reset(which was pretty stupid but the computer wasn't responding) and then when I boot, a splash screen of "UBUNTU 11.04" appeared and there was a bit at the bottom about not being able to mount a network or something like that. It went along the lines of "Press S to skip boot or Press M to manually configure". And it would never do anything except sit there. So can anyone help me out? Thank You!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Interrupted update to 11.10, now computer wont boot. fix?

Try pressing 'Skip' (S), which is often caused by an entry error in /etc/fstab. If the system can run without mounting the errant partition entry, it may boot and allow you to correct fstab (note the error before you press S).

You can also try booting to the Recovery mode and see if there is an option to fix broken packages. Run that, if it is an option, and then resume the boot.

The next thing I'd try would probably be to accomplish an fsck check on the Ubuntu partition. Do this from a LiveCD (the partition must be unmounted). Substitute the correct drive/partition values for X,Y:

Code:
    sudo unmount /dev/sdXY  # Just to ensure it's not mounted
    sudo e2fsck -fyv /dev/sdXY
    Reboot. It's very possible the problem is with mixed apps from the two releases, but this may clear things up if the installation either didn't get very far or came close to completing.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

I tried booting the computer again, but now all my monitor does is freak out and flash between "Cannot display this video mode" and going idle

Beans

See, "Cannot display this video mode" happens everytime I start the computer up, but it goes to the login screen soon after. This time, after a quiet period of "Cannot display this video mode", I see the little round loading circle of Ubuntu and it starts freaking out

Beans
    Distro

Have you tried logging into Recovery mode and select Fix Broken Packages?

Beans

That screen doesnt even pop up anymore. My monitor just flashes and spazzes out

Beans
    Distro

That would be a problem. Do you have multiple kernel entries in your grub screen? If so try an alternate kernel.

Beans

Oh I can boot into a rescue CD. But I dont really know what to do while in the session

Beans

<deleted>
    Last edited by PFactorial; October 25th, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Here's a chunk of mine, maybe it will help you construct a new one.
    Code:
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=11a2b514-dc28-4d48-a533-ae3821a6507b /               ext4    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast