Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gedit, emacs or vi what should I be editing stuff with

Beans

gedit, emacs or vi what should I be editing stuff with

Hi,

I've been fiddling with Ubuntu for a few weeks now and it's obvious that understanding the command line is essential. I have therefore purchased some books on bash and am slowly making my way through them and have picked up a lot of stuff.

The editing I've been doing while following the texts has been with gedit, but the books are starting to talk about using emacs or vi to edit the command line.

I realize they are both full of key sequences to do stuff, and so will take some dedicated effort to learn, while gedit seems pretty straight forward to use.

I'm a little confused over what program I should be using to edit scripts with and should I take the time to learn emacs or vi if I'm planning to do a little scripting in bash or even c++ etc.

I'm an absolute beginner and am looking for advice on what I should be using, so any tips would be appreciated.

SNIFFY

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: gedit, emacs or vi what should I be editing stuff with

Its really down to personal choice, but if you are planning to learn about Ubuntu rather than just using it, I would recommend that you do take a little time out to learn one non GUI text editor. You never know when it will come in handy if something breaks. I tend to just stick to Nano, but as I say its all about choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

nothing wrong with gedit, but it is good to be familiar with either vi(m) or emacs (or nano) for the times you might lose your front end and you wanna edit config files.

edit: beaten again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You should take a look at "sed" too if your are planning on getting serious with shell programming.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans

Thanks for the advice, I've installed emacs and I think vim is also there too. emacs seems to come up as a gui not in the command line, so I'm doing something wrong there???

So far I've been editing the prompt in bash simply to get an idea of the that first. I understand that the prompt should be used and not made fancy but it's a starting place for me.

So far the different types of quotes ' ' or " " do indeed seem to cause different results and I'm still trying to understand the subtleties of them.

I will look into them and try and get a feel, as I understand if I break X then I might need to edit this way

Regards

SNIFFY

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I agree with the others. I like gedit a lot (leafpad, geany, etc...) but they are GUI tools as the others have pointed out. I agree that a familiarity with the command line tools is essential. I messed up my desktop environment by tweaking with compiz too much, and needed to use vi to edit my session config file. also learning the command line commands (like ls, rm, mv, etc....) are also very useful. the "man" command is very useful for learning as well (ex. man vi) or using "--help" (ex. ls --help)
    knowing your way around the file system is pretty essential, too.

Beans
    Hidden!

I use nano and gedit to edit or look at the occasional configuration file, but anything that takes longer than a few minutes is worked on in Emacs!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi there,

Some time ago, I was a huge emacs fan. Hey it's not an editor, it's an operating system on its own! But then I started to use vi quite intensively a few months ago and now I'm totally convinced: it undoubtedly rocks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Traditionaly, vi is on nearly every Unix linux computer out there, so if youre a technichian, you'll probably encounter / be forced to use vi at some point. If youre not in that situation, then I really like cream or gedit, which both work fine for daily use.
    ~Conradin~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SNIFFER_dog View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I've installed emacs and I think vim is also there too. emacs seems to come up as a gui not in the command line, so I'm doing something wrong there???
    You have to install emacs without X11 support. It's the emacs23-nox package.
    Last edited by enkay009; October 24th, 2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Corrected package name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast