Thread: Interrupted update to 11.10, now computer wont boot. fix?

Beans

Question Interrupted update to 11.10, now computer wont boot. fix?

I started the download and upgrade to 11.10 from 11.04 on root account then I went to a guest account to continue my work/play/whatever while the root account installed the packages I logged out of the guest account later, and the computer didnt respond so I did a hard reset(which was pretty stupid but the computer wasn't responding) and then when I boot, a splash screen of "UBUNTU 11.04" appeared and there was a bit at the bottom about not being able to mount a network or something like that. It went along the lines of "Press S to skip boot or Press M to manually configure". And it would never do anything except sit there. So can anyone help me out? Thank You!

Beans

Re: Interrupted update to 11.10, now computer wont boot. fix?

Quote Originally Posted by PFactorial View Post
    I started the download and upgrade to 11.10 from 11.04 on root account then I went to a guest account to continue my work/play/whatever while the root account installed the packages I logged out of the guest account later, and the computer didnt respond so I did a hard reset(which was pretty stupid but the computer wasn't responding) and then when I boot, a splash screen of "UBUNTU 11.04" appeared and there was a bit at the bottom about not being able to mount a network or something like that. It went along the lines of "Press S to skip boot or Press M to manually configure". And it would never do anything except sit there. So can anyone help me out? Thank You!
    Sounds like something got corrupted when the system went down early. A hard power cycle will sometimes cause damage to OS. Have you tried booting into your rescue disc? If you don't have a rescue disc, now would be a good time to create one for yourself.

Beans

like another live cd? Yeah. But I didnt know what to do during the session

Beans

like another live cd? Yeah. But I didnt know what to do during the session
    Or you can create a live USB stick.. of Ubuntu. That way we can try to repair the damage to your system. If you can't get to the command line on either a resque disc or your damanged HDD (which I don't recommend since it can cause continued corruption and loss of data) it would be prudent to use a rescue live disc stick to copy your files you want to keep before we try to repair the system. Did you do regular backups on your systems?

Beans

uh. no.
    So what do I do in the rescue disk's Ubuntu?

Beans

uh. no.
    So what do I do in the rescue disk's Ubuntu?
    Once you have created a resque USB flash stick of Ubuntu, you will want to boot from that USB stick of Ubuntu, and copy any files you want to keep.