Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: orange rectangle

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

orange rectangle

When I move the mouse to the left or right of the screen it causes a transparent orange rectangle to cover half the screen. Almost like its trying to snap a window or something. Anyone else noticed this? Is there a solution?
    The outrageous is the reasonable, if introduced politely.

Beans

Re: orange rectangle

This normally happens when you drag a window to the edge. It's quite helpful when working on many things at once (ex. browser windows on the left, terminal on the right).

Are you simply moving your mouse to the edge (i.e. not dragging a window) when the orange rectangle appears?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, no dragging involved. I go over to unity to switch workspaces or to the scroll bar and it kicks it off. I usually have to click on the workspace switcher to get it to stop.... tried playing with compiz setting but no joy.

Beans

Hmm... that is weird. It doesn't sound like intended behavior. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I haven't run into it so I can't offer much help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm I wonder if its because I'm running libreoffice. I just booted up and opened google chrome in one workspace and libreoffice impress in another (both full screen) and it happened, but didn't happen before then....

Beans

A shot in the dark here, but what if you logged out and tried deleting your compiz settings?

Since the grid/orange rectange is a feature of compiz, it might be worth trying to see if it fixes this issue.

Code:
    rm -rf ~/.compiz* ~/.config/compiz*
    You could alternatively rename them too if you want to roll back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I changed a whole bunch of stuff, and seemed to fix it.... I actually I messed a whole bunch of other stuff up, but once I got it all sorted it was, well, all sorted.... not too sure what I did to compiz which fixed the problem though. Something in ccsm.

Beans

I read somewhere on this forum that ccsm doesn't play nice with ubuntu 11.10.

Anyways if you got it to work then great.

BTW, I assumed you were running 11.10... but then again your profile says 11.04... so nevermind.

Beans

It's happening to me as well, no LibreOffice running. See attached screen shot. Generally the way I reproduce is to launch something, then when I try to click on it in the launcher to switch to it, the obnoxious orange rectangle appears.

Is there a way in ccsm or dconf to simply turn this feature off entirely? I don't personally find it useful and would prefer to make the orange rectangle issue go away entirely ... ?

Thanks in advance for any help ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I would like to know what feature is this and how can I deactivated, is becoming annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast