Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues Installing on Power Mac G5 - Video Feed Issues

Beans

Red face Issues Installing on Power Mac G5 - Video Feed Issues

Hello

I have just acquired a used G5 to replace my G4 that died a couple months ago. My old IDE hard drive that contains a working installation of Ubuntu is not compatible with my G5 tower, since this runs SATA.

I have repartitioned my hard drive for Mac OS X leaving 60GB of free space for Ubuntu.

My machine is ppc970 according to the Terminal. It is a dual PPC G5 2.3Ghz with 4GB of RAM.

I use a Gateway flatscreen monitor (don't ask, I got it free!) that works fine with my machine using a standard VGA converter plug.

When I attempt to boot into the Ubuntu CD to install, the first black screen comes up. I hit enter to load the kernel. A white screen with some text comes up.

Then it goes black. My monitor will shortly show "no video input" and this does not change.

How can I get Ubuntu to maintain video feed for installation? Is there perhaps a way to make it do a text-based installation? Or something that will cause it to NOT lose video signal to my monitor?

Any ideas?

Please help. Thanks. I would appreciate any input on this.

BTW-- I have tried the PPC Ubuntu 10.10 -- should I use the Alternate version? Which version will work best with the G5 as I have described it? Thanks again.
    Last edited by MacPenguin1972; October 23rd, 2011 at 01:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Issues Installing on Power Mac G5 - Video Feed Issues

Which video card do you have? The Mac version of the X800 is unsupported in PPC Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dpny View Post
    Which video card do you have? The Mac version of the X800 is unsupported in PPC Linux.
    In the system profiler it under Graphics/Displays it says:

(according to Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger)

NVIDIA GeForce 6600:

Chipset Model: GeForce 6600
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCI
    Slot: SLOT-1
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0141
    Revision ID: 0x00a4
    ROM Revision: 2149
    Displays:
    FPD1520:
    Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Supported
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Display:

I might also add that I used the very same Gateway flatscreen monitor with my now-deceased G4.

Same adapter plug. In fact I can boot Debian PPC 6.x but I don't want to use Debian because it wastes the empty space- loading everything up until you get to installing "yaboot" which it fails to do. Then I can't restore the drive partition to a blank, usable linux partition again. (You can't do it using Disk Utility in OS X, that is for sure)
    Last edited by MacPenguin1972; October 23rd, 2011 at 03:29 AM.

Beans

Update:

I have since been able to install Ubuntu 10.04 (not 10.10) in my desired partition on my hard drive. However one of two problems remains constant:

1. When holding down option to select between Linux and OS X - the computer will sometimes "shut down" the USB port that controls the mouse and keyboard. The laser light on my optical mouse will go out, and the mouse will not work. Neither will the keyboard. A total system restart is required to remedy this problem.

2. If I DO get past this and get to booting Ubuntu, I still have the same problem where, after the white screen I lose video signal to the monitor and cannot get it back.

Apparently Apple does not allow systems other than OS X to be used on the G5? They will shut down your mouse/keyboard if you try or you lose video.

Are there any hacks to prevent either of these two things from happening?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by MacPenguin1972 View Post
    Apparently Apple does not allow systems other than OS X to be used on the G5? They will shut down your mouse/keyboard if you try or you lose video.
    Apple doesn't stop anyone from installing anything on a G5, as I know of other successful installs. I can't help you, as my video card is unsupported, but you might want to check out mintppc, and the mintppc forums. It's a Mint-based distro specifically for PPC Macs.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

The answer to installing Ubuntu is not to install MintPPC!

Check out my lubuntu thread (linked on the last few pages of the sticky thread) for how to solve video problems.

I don't understand why you have to press the option key? Is this common on a dual boot? Is there something wrong with your yaboot config? Gentoo have an excellent guide to yaboot http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...part=1&chap=10 which says you need to specify an ofboot line for the G5.
    Last edited by rsavage; October 23rd, 2011 at 07:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dpny View Post
    Apple doesn't stop anyone from installing anything on a G5, as I know of other successful installs. I can't help you, as my video card is unsupported, but you might want to check out mintppc, and the mintppc forums. It's a Mint-based distro specifically for PPC Macs.
    The problem is- Well two problems actually--

One -- I could not replace my current Ubuntu partition without reformatting the entire hard drive. It seems to me based on what I have experienced that you can only install linus on a partition with "free space" - nothing on it whatsoever. No HFS, no Fat32. NTTS, Big Mac, McDs, or any other file format system.

I would have to back up my existing Mac OS X stuff to an external drive, wipe the drive to recreate my original partition scheme on a 250GB hard drive which I allocate about 55GB for Linux and the rest for Mac. Then "Mint" would have an empty partition to use. II know of no other way to do it without destroying my files on the Mac OS part of the partition -- DiskUtility is kind of a crappy program for stuff like this)

Second-- what runs on Mint? Everything I have seen is generally geared for the "big boys" - Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora. Programs designed for those systems won't run on a totally foreign system like Mint.

I have noticed each Linux distro is it's own OS, and a world unto itself. So if the program is made for Ubuntu, you're NOT going to run it say, on Debian for example. Debian programs are not made to run on Ubuntu, etc. This has been my observation so far.

Sorry, just that I'm not enough of a "hacker" to do these things any other way. If there are other methods I do not know them and they are not readily available to the linux novice.

So that is my dilemma.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    The answer to installing Ubuntu is not to install MintPPC!

Check out my lubuntu thread (linked on the last few pages of the sticky thread) for how to solve video problems.

I don't understand why you have to press the option key? Is this common on a dual boot? Is there something wrong with your yaboot config? Gentoo have an excellent guide to yaboot http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...part=1&chap=10 which says you need to specify an ofboot line for the G5.

Last question first-- Mac OS X it seems has a big ego. Once you boot into Mac OS X it thinks it is the only OS on the machine. When you restart after that the machine will go right to OS X. "Doesn't matter what 'yaboot' thinks" it seems.

To override Mac OS X, holding down the option key immediately at startup will bring up a menu showing all bootable systems on the machine. You can then click on the Linux or Mac OS X icon and boot into whicever system you want.

Gentoo? Was looking at that one. But I have the same question about Gentoo that I would Mint-- what runs on it? It seems as I mentioned in my reply to dpny that each linux platform is almost like it's own OS where things designed to run on THAT version of linux will not run on another (necessarily anyways)

So if I junk Ubuntu (which I am getting very close to doing- I love Ubuntu but I can't see it when it loads- there's no point in having it. It ran on the G4 I had but my Power Mac G5 says "no dice, pal!" - I may have to hunt down a used G4 like the one I had- the silver mirror door tower, just to turn it into a linux box.) Make no mistake- I LOVE Ubuntu- I've tried Yellow Dog, Debian, and Fedora and I like Ubuntu the best and want to run it. But I can't get it to work worth a damn. Ubuntu is no longer supported for Power PC, so that's that. (I don't see Ubuntu 11 on Power PC do you? That would be sweet, I've used it on a PC!)

My apologies. I just don't know enough about Linux yet to be able to hack it and all that right now.

I will check out the thread you mentioned. Give this thing one more shot after I read it.

I hate sounding like such a tough customer and I am probably speaking largely out of ignorance. There is a lot I don't know and it's hard to find the precise answers I need with a simple keyword search on Google.

The other question is-- am I supposed to be using the standard PPC version, or should I be using the alternate version? And then 32 or 64 bit?? I'm not aware that the G5 is a 64bit machine.

Sorry about all the questions, there is a lot I am trying to learn.

Thanks.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

I don't see Ubuntu 11 on Power PC do you?
    er... yes

I will check out the thread you mentioned. Give this thing one more shot after I read it.
    You probably should of done that before writing.

I hate sounding like such a tough customer and I am probably speaking largely out of ignorance.
    er... yes

There is a lot I don't know and it's hard to find the precise answers I need with a simple keyword search on Google.
    I pointed you in the direction of the documentation you need to solve your video problem.

The other question is-- am I supposed to be using the standard PPC version, or should I be using the alternate version? And then 32 or 64 bit?? I'm not aware that the G5 is a 64bit machine.
    It really isn't hard to find this out. The G5s are 64 bit.

Your yaboot problem is caused by how you've partitoned your hard drive I think https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ya...werPCsDualBoot

Regarding the suggestion by dpny: MintPPC is basically debian. Their forum is excellent for people like yourself who can't cope when things go wrong.

I wasn't suggesting you install Gentoo, I just pointed you to their yaboot guide.
    Last edited by rsavage; October 24th, 2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    Regarding the suggestion by dpny: MintPPC is basically debian. Their forum is excellent for people like yourself who can't cope when things go wrong.
    That's a cheap shot. Period.

And your comment is typical of the god-complex mentality some people get in the IT world. Not everybody is going to understand things the same way.

All I know is Ubuntu worked on the G4, it does not work on the G5 and I'm trying to see if there is still a way.

Also, I work and go to school full time, so I do not have time to sift through thousands of messages to find an answer. I need to find answers quickly. I'm not a basement dwelling geek living at my parents' house with all the time in the world. So forgive me if I can't spend hours and hours reading forum threads.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacPenguin1972
    I don't see Ubuntu 11 on Power PC do you?

er... yes
    Gee, the last version I have ever seen released on the PPC is 10.10 and that is what comes up on a google search of "download Power PC Ubuntu" And I'm not at the level of rewriting lines and lines of code just yet to make a PPC version of 11. So you'll have to bear with me.
    Last edited by MacPenguin1972; October 24th, 2011 at 07:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast