Thread: 11.10 Boot Disk Not Working

Beans

11.10 Boot Disk Not Working

I'm trying to install 11.10 on an external hard drive so I can boot from there and give 11.10 a test before I make the switch. However, when I start with the boot CD in the Ubuntu splash screen comes up and stays...forever.

When I hit backspace it gives me some text on a black screen stating:

"failed to change the mode of etc password to 0600"

What's going on with this?

Beans

Re: 11.10 Boot Disk Not Working

I have a laptop that never wanted to install from CD... couldn't even use a live CD in it. Could never figure out why, but it is quite happy if I just use a bootable USB stick. I just use startup disk creator to make a bootable USB stick. I do that for all my installs, since its faster than using a CD...
    "Linux - isn't that the kid with the blanket fetish from the Peanuts comic strip?"

Beans

Re: 11.10 Boot Disk Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by masgeeks View Post
    I have a laptop that never wanted to install from CD... couldn't even use a live CD in it. Could never figure out why, but it is quite happy if I just use a bootable USB stick. I just use startup disk creator to make a bootable USB stick. I do that for all my installs, since its faster than using a CD...
    Hmm...that would require me hunting down a USB stick with 2 GB, which I'm not confident I can do at this point in time (I really just don't know where mine is). I'll look for it while trying to figure out a solution.