Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 LiveUSB Persistent

Beans

Ubuntu 11.10 LiveUSB Persistent

Hi all,

I've been trying to use a LiveUSB of Ubuntu 11.10. To create it, I used YUMI from pendrivelinux.com, but I'm having some issues.

First of all, when I tried to use it in "persistent mode", I added in the ubuntu1110.cfg the "append persistent" line when booting, but It freezes when Ubuntu is loading.

I googled the issue and found that It has something to do with the casper file, specifically in the "mode=755" statement. I tried to edit it unpacking the initrd.lz archive, but deleting "mode=755" causes that Ubuntu is unable to load.

In other forum, I read that maybe adding this code to the "init" file may fix the issue:

ADD the lines preceded by a + between the lines preceded by a *:
    * break) * break=premount * ;; * + persistent) + PERSISTENT=yes + root_persistence=casper-rw + home_persistence=home-rw + ;; + * esac
    I have done it, but it has no effect

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 and the thumbdrive is Datatraveler 16Gb, hope somebody can help me

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 LiveUSB Persistent

...nobody else with this problem?

Beans

Creating a Live USB shouldn't be that much complex. Simply use Unetbootin if you are creating it on Windows. If you have access to a running ubuntu installation or have a live cd, use the inbuilt "Startup Disk Creator".

I personally always use a virtual machine (empty) to boot from the downloaded iso, then attach the target USb to the VM and use the inbuilt "Startup disk creator" to make it live bootable. The only one time when I faced a problem was while trying Linux Mint 11 KDE, which was probably due to a bug in its syslinux file. I used the startup disk creator of 10.04 (to install mint on the USB), and it worked.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

i am facin same issue
    in persistent mode, the system hangs on ubuntu loading screen(boot up)

any clue why this problem occurs..and whats the solution

Beans

i tried Li Li usb creator. it solves the problem, i found it abit slow but works.
    download it and format pen drive using it.

Beans

Built USB (8Gb w 4GB for casper-rw persistent files). Used 11.10 desktop iso.
    Boots fine. Have wireless drivers activated, and can use desktop.

My problem is persistent parts. I tried deleted icons frmo the launch bar (left) and they keep coming back after a reboot.

Wireless drivers, VPN configurations are persistent, but launchbar deletion come back. Also, downloaded Chrome to use as browser, and after reboot, it didn't load or work. I found it and tried to put it on launch bar, but after reboot, it was gone, and didn't load.

What am I doing wrong? I want a USB that is persistent, and can be booted on my netbook or laptop with all the settings I configure for my use.

Beans

Did you do any updates? Usually I've found that updating a persistent usb kills it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have tried Linux Live USB creator and Universal USB Installer. Cannot have a persistent USB on Oneiric. I have success using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS either way of creating a persistent Live USB. I am using Imation Nano Pro 4GB.

I think the problem is on the Ubuntu version itself (11.10).
    i5-750/P55-UD3P/HD4850 1GB DDR3/4GB DDR3 A-Data Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Natty/Igelle 1.0.0 DSV /Windows7 x64 (for gaming)

Beans

you can have an 11.10 persistent liveUSB, just allow for some room in the slider when you use the USB Creator

if you need more than 4GB then make an EXT4 partition on your USB drive named 'casper-rw'

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

use 'Method 0'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Still persistence is not working for U 11.10 using method 0, even by making a separate partition (ext4) for casper-rw. I had followed the procedure carefully. In fact, I had a created a working Live USB using the Startup Disk Creator, albeit the data persistence.

My hardware:
    CPU: AMD E-350
    RAM: 8GB
    USB Disk used (booted from): LIVE USB (Not CD) - I suppose using Live CD is just the same. 8GB
    Target USB Live with persistence: Imation Nano Pro 4GB
    i5-750/P55-UD3P/HD4850 1GB DDR3/4GB DDR3 A-Data Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Natty/Igelle 1.0.0 DSV /Windows7 x64 (for gaming)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast