Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power management problem - laptop suspends.

Beans

Power management problem - laptop suspends.

Hey guys,

I'm having this issue on Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome 3. Whenever I unplug my laptop from charger, system gives me "your battery is critically low" and my laptop suspends after few seconds, even though battery is full. And only in case it's 100% full, then it doesn't suspend. If it's 90-97% full- suspends right away. I had same problem on Natty, and I did fix it, it's known bug from what I remember, but did clean install of Oneiric and I can't find fix this time. :c
    Anyone had this problem before? Any ideas of how to fix it? There is some bug in gnome-power-manager reporting incorrect values, that's why it suspends...
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Oh, yes, I have Dell Studio 1440, if that matters. I doubt it does though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Power management problem - laptop suspends.

It started to work for me after installing Jupiter, but I am not sure if it was a coincidence. The article mentions improvements in power management.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/jupit...lable-for.html

Beans

Didn't work. :c
    http://goo.gl/1XoJW
    Installed Jupiter, restarted, tried switching power modes- when it hits 85% recharging, then if I unplug it- suspends.. >> Annoying bug, really.
    I searched all over my Firefox history, can't find the solution I found before. I'm getting desperate, yet, I'm sure there is a solution.
    But thanks for the tip about Jupiter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Borts View Post
    Didn't work. :c
    http://goo.gl/1XoJW
    Installed Jupiter, restarted, tried switching power modes- when it hits 85% recharging, then if I unplug it- suspends.. >> Annoying bug, really.
    I searched all over my Firefox history, can't find the solution I found before. I'm getting desperate, yet, I'm sure there is a solution.
    But thanks for the tip about Jupiter.
    Sorry to read that. Perhaps I did something else then.I was trying several methods.

I read that power management needs to "learn" about your battery, so perhaps it will fix itself with time.

Beans

Probably you did something else that it worked. Probably power manager "learned" about you battery after you discharged it and charged it again couple of times, yeah, I think that's possible too. But I'm still sure there is a way to "teach" it. I'll keep looking.
    Thanks anyway.

EDIT:
    YES!!! Found it. Found same link I used 2 months ago.
    Laptop suspends when I connect/disconnect AC:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/481312
    upower (devkit-power) reporting bad data when AC cable is unplugged
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/devicekit-power/+bug/531190

Although:
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/general/use_time_for_policy false
    This ^ won't work, since there is no "gnome-power-manager" entry. Yet, there is a patch in C ,patch for natty version (upower0.9.8-1build1), which worked for me last time, so I'm gonna try it now too. Hope this works.

EDIT 2:
    WORKED! There is another fix exactly for 11.10:

"In order to work around this issue in Oneiric, you can issue the following command:
    gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power 'use-time-for-policy' 'false'
    You can alternatively do the following:
    1. sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
    2. dconf-editor
    3. Navigate to the 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power' section
    4. Uncheck 'use-time-for-policy' "

Worked like a charm. When I unplug power at 70%, gives me "1 minute remaining" at first, after couple of seconds "43 minutes remaining", and doesn't suspend the system.
    I love Ubuntu for it's community. Hope it helps someone else.
    Last edited by Borts; October 22nd, 2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Solution found.

Beans

Borts,

I wanted to write to say thank you for your 'EDIT 2' of your post above. I had spent too much time on trial-and-error changes in the GConfEditor only to find my laptop suspending regardless, whenever I disconnected the AC power.

For other people out there using Oneiric, dconf-editor reveals more options than GConfEditor, and changing those options fixed the suspend/shutdown/hibernate problem when the AC power was disconnected. Follow Borts' instructions above (EDIT 2) and you should be sitting pretty.

Thanks again Borts,
    skitfish

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: Power management problem - laptop suspends.

Quote Originally Posted by Borts View Post
    In order to work around this issue in Oneiric, you can issue the following command:
    gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power 'use-time-for-policy' 'false'
    Thank you SO much!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Awesome, thanks a million.

Beans

I'm glad it helped so many people. Turns out I wasn't the only one having this issue. All thanks to theMonkey (chris-boyle-1978) from this place:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/devicekit-power/+bug/531190
    I just googled it good.
    Help the community, and someone will help you back when you will have your problems.

Beans

Thank you so much Borts for sharing this fix with us.

I have been facing this problem since upgrading to 11.10. Could live with it but I also upgraded my fathers laptop with it and it also had the same issue.

He will be relieved now.

Regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast