Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 White Screen of Death

Beans

11.10 White Screen of Death

I've been trying to get everything working again after updating from 11.04 to 11.10. Grub: working now. Wireless: working now, just needed to disable blacklisting of a couple of drivers. Okay.

Ubuntu (Unity?) 2D seems to work, so I should probably be happy to stick with that... but maybe I can get a little more advice here.

When I start a regular Ubuntu session, the left black/gray (launcher?) bar shows, but no icons. Mouse-over flashes 'tooltip' descriptions of what should be there, but otherwise nothing.

The top 'tray' bar shows with its proper icons.

The main desktop area is dead white. No display of anything except the pointer cursor.

With that situation, I can't even shut down Ubuntu properly, because even if I click "Shutdown" on the top bar (that dropdown menu displays okay), the next thing to be seen should be a dialog asking to confirm. It might be there - mouse-over causes some kind of cursor changes - but it's invisible. So I'm forced to completely reboot.

Under 2D, I called up the terminal and ran unity --reset. That caused the screen to blank out as above. I've also tried /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p, but that simply says that there's no problem found.

To anticipate the next question:

Code:
    david@david-MS-7046:~$ sudo lshw -C video
    [sudo] password for david: 
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: NV37GL [Quadro FX 330/GeForce PCX 5300]
           vendor: nVidia Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: a2
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
           resources: irq:16 memory:d0000000-d0ffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d1000000-d1ffffff memory:d2000000-d201ffff
    david@david-MS-7046:~$
    Thanks for any advice.

Beans

Unhappy Re: 11.10 White Screen of Death

Just noting that I have the same problem (mostly white screen) with Ubuntu 11.10 and I have a similar video card:

# lshw -C video
    *-display
    product: NV35GL [Quadro FX 3000]
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
    version: a1
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: pm agp agp-3.0 vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=nvidia latency=248 maxlatency=1 mingnt=5
    resources: irq:16 memory:c1000000-c1ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff

I hope someone can tell us how to get around this issue.

Beans

Re: 11.10 White Screen of Death

I, too, have to report similar behavior. Not the same, but close. About 70% of the time, when waking the laptop back up, the screen is blank white. I can still login, just typing my password, and trusting to luck. Opening new windows in Chrome will usually (80-85% of the time?) result in a completely blank window. The Dash consistently shows on the same icons, and no others, though a mouseover also produces the same tooltips as previously mentioned. Many other applications opened will also show blank. Trying to open a document from within LibreOffice Writer will also produce the same blank window, though sometimes it works to resize it. Not always, though.

lshw output:

Code:
      *-display               
           product: C51 [GeForce Go 6150]
           physical id: 5
           bus info: pci@0000:00:05.0
           width: 64 bits
           capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
           resources: irq:18 memory:b2000000-b2ffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:b1000000-b1ffffff memory:60000000-6001ffff

Beans

I just upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10, and here is what I am seeing. When I open Libre Office Writer, I am able to have two windows open at time, for example, two documents. After that, if I try and save one of the documents, open a new document, etc. that third window now appears as a blank white screen.

What made it even more interesting was I then went to Chrome or Firefox and the web page I was just recently looking at went all white as well. But the other two Libre Office documents were still viewable. When I closed the extra third screen, then the web site I was seeing came back.

I tried opening three different desktops to see if it would give me the same issue, and it did. I had Chrome going on one desktop, I opened a 2nd desktop with two Libre Office writer documents open, and I then opened a 3rd desktop and tried to open a new Libre Office Writer document and got the blank screen.

I am new to Linux so I am sorry I don't know how to look at my video card specs.

Yesterday I upgraded from version 10.04 to 10.10, and then to 11.04 and then to 11.10, so I can't confirm if this white screen was because of 11.10 or if I would have seen it in 11.04 since I only had 11.04 for a matter of minutes before upgrading. I wish now I would had just stayed with my older version. Oh well...

Any ideas???

Eric
    Last edited by decaeric; October 22nd, 2011 at 08:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Report it on launchpad bugs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/

If 3 of you have the same issue; it's likely to be fixed relatively soon.

@decaeric: all of the stuff above is from a terminal emulator; a bit like a DOS window in windows. Press Ctrl-Alt-T, then type the commands above (for instance, you can do a lot more with a terminal):

Code:
    sudo lshw -C video
    then press the return key, and enter your password. Then paste here in code tags.
    Last edited by MG&TL; October 22nd, 2011 at 08:19 PM.

Beans

I'm sort of a newbie myself, but I've found that a lot of the fixes and diagnostics for Linux take place at a Terminal command line.

Open up a terminal window, and at the command line type:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C video
    Translation: "Using super user authority, list the system hardware of class 'video'".

When you do this, the computer will ask you to enter your 'super user' password. Don't worry, it's the same as your regular password - but it's a security thing, I guess, so that's why it wants it done as super user.

Copy the results and paste into any further posting here. It helps the experts here to know what hardware we've got.

BTW, another good command to know is:
    Code:
    man MostAnyCommand
    That is, "Print the manual information available for 'MostAnyCommand'. There's no guarantee that the manual information will be totally useful, but it can help boost your confidence level.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Linuxcommand.org

Also:

Code:
    mostanycommand --help
    sometimes works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Report it on launchpad bugs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/

If 3 of you have the same issue; it's likely to be fixed relatively soon.

@decaeric: all of the stuff above is from a terminal emulator; a bit like a DOS window in windows. Press Ctrl-Alt-T, then type the commands above (for instance, you can do a lot more with a terminal):

Code:
    sudo lshw -C video
    then press the return key, and enter your password. Then paste here in code tags.
    I've never posted a bug report, and as I get into it, I see that setting up the account and developing personal security keys, et cetera, will take some time that I don't have just now. I'll do it when I can.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sure. But you don't need the keys. Just an account and you can go. When you do have the time, perhaps.

Beans

This is similar to the problem I'm having, although with some different circumstances...

in 11.04 I rolled back the Nvidia driver to 173 and in doing that took care of this type of issue.

I can not stand Unity so I'm using Gnome shell for 11.10. While installing Gnome shell, I had this same issue, just blank screens after [x] number of windows were opened. for me, (now in Gnome shell) it's more like 6-7 windows before it goes blank though.

I'm using a 64 bit machine with an Nvidia card, and my lshw output is almost identical to the others with a 64 bit machine.

Code:
    *-display               
           product: C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430]
           physical id: d
           bus info: pci@0000:00:0d.0
           width: 64 bits
           capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
           resources: irq:21 memory:fc000000-fcffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fb000000-fbffffff memory:fdf40000-fdf5ffff
    pollo@Pollo-cyberdyne:~$
    I'll consider trying the 173 driver again after I do some more research into 11.10.
    Last edited by rarepollo; October 23rd, 2011 at 09:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast