Page 153 of 195 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by gnome2379 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I had called up the ASUS support and they want to take the laptop back to check. As long as they can get the laptop back in a working condition I will be glad.

I have been using Ubuntu for long now (even though am just a novice) I have had problems with losing grub or screwing up my partition but as long as the system started up I was able to use a spare PC and get to the forum to make it work.. but this one is dead as dead.

Any reason what could have caused this - was it the battery, bios not being up to date or ...

Some info on my installation:

1) I had a dual-boot with win 7 and did not remove the asus back up/recovery partition.

2) I have not updated the BIOS because when i tried to locate the files on the usb drive, system reported those files were older than what was installed (the files were named with some numbers like 201 or 209.. instead of dates!)

3) I did not use the script modification advised on the ubuntu site for asus to help from suspend/hibernation. I tend to power down the ux31 when it is not in use.

4) I used the scripts to make the touchpad respond to right clicks and use it as a clickpad (using xinput to find the id for the elantech touchpad thingy and use it as input parameter for the scripts i downloaded)

all of this was working fine until yesterday.. I did not make any other changes except agreeing to install the patches and the laptop was running on battery that time (I did not notice it to be that low it was pretty well charged)

Is there any way I can boot in to a USB (live-usb) and run some commands and post the output here to see what could have possibly gone wrong? (before I could pack this off to the support) may be it would give the developers some info on what caused the crash?
    I believe this a hardware related issue and not a Ubuntu specific. take a look

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...ad-help-5.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SorryGoFish View Post
    He said it won't even post...

This laptop is dead. You'll need to claim warranty, I think. Others have had similar experiences. I'll try to search the forum here and provide some links.

Edit
    See these posts (from earlier in this topic), and links therein:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...d#post11787775
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...d#post11767101
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...d#post11717120
    Oh thanks for this info - I do see there are quite a few users with similar issues. Pretty sad it is common problem. I hate to have Ubuntu or any other Linux distro running on the usb in live version, I guess until these are sorted I have to resort to this. Any suggestion on how the live works on the UX31 - I haven't seen lot of posts/threads on users using other distros on UX31.

Thanks again

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
    I believe this a hardware related issue and not a Ubuntu specific. take a look

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...ad-help-5.html
    @techfreak - Yep its pretty sad. I went in for asus only because I had good feedback from colleagues who are still working on the ASUS-EE editions with linux on them.

Not even remotely this incident will make me not use linux - I have had bad crashes before and have got all my files back without a glitch

Perhaps it is best to leave it running win 7 and try usb-live versions I guess *fingers crossed*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I guess I spoke too soon and Techfreak was right from the beginning. my ux31 died again, with only caps and f2 leds on. This morning was working and rebooting fine, now with a full battery, nothing.

already compiled a rma ticket...

it's a shame that many people are having the same issue, I hope that I'll have the machine back soon.

Beans

I was wondering that could the wiki page at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbook be edited to not say "WiFi works out-of-the-box" because it doesn't. Several people have complained about breaking connection, slow speed, bad reception amongst other problems.

I'd do it myself but I don't really know how or what to write there.

Beans

screen resolution problem with eepc 1015cx

I have a new asus netbook eeepc 1015cx which has the following graphics card

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

In neither of the versions starting from 11.04 to 12.04 I couldn't able to get the proper screen resolution of 1024X600.

Can anybody help me how to get the proper screen resolution in ubuntu.

Thanks,
    sriram

Beans

Hi

Since i upgraded to 12.04 my touchpad script in rc.local is not working. I always get:

Code:
    X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
    not sure what could be the problem?

Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    # value on error.
    #
    # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
    # bits.
    #
    # By default this script does nothing.

# higher sensitivity
    synclient FingerLow=9 FingerHigh=12

# faster movements
    synclient MinSpeed=1.5 MaxSpeed=3.5 AccelFactor=0.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hey over there !!

I finally got my unit back from RMA. For the very same problem that gnome_something experienced few posts ago. I had to return my unit 3 times to get it working again (for now, knock on wood). From now on I won't ever return an electronic good to the retailer support but directly to the manufacturer, it would have saved me a lot of time.

Any way. They have changed the whole internals of the beast so I'm back to the re-installation.

Cheers !

Beans

I simply cannot get my touchpad the way I want it. The palm detect is giving me fits. Every time to try to type, my cursor jumps around horribly. Also, it seems to be much less sensitive than I would like. Any ideas?
    BTW, this is the Elantech touchpad.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# higher sensitivity
    synclient FingerLow=2 FingerHigh=5

# faster movements
    synclient MinSpeed=0.25 MaxSpeed=4.0 AccelFactor=0.15

# 2 fingers scroll
    synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=1 HorizTwoFingerScroll=1

# faster coasting
    synclient CoastingSpeed=10 CoastingFriction=25

# enable tap to click (2 fingers for middle click, 3 fingers for right click)
    synclient TapButton1=1 TapButton2=3 TapButton3=2

# faster tap and double tap
    synclient FastTaps=1 MaxDoubleTapTime=100

# continue dragging movement when reaching the edge of the touchpad
    synclient EdgeMotionMinZ=30 EdgeMotionMaxZ=40 EdgeMotionMinSpeed=100 EdgeMotionMaxSpeed=400

# Click with multiple buttons
    synclient ClickFinger1=1 ClickFinger2=3 ClickFinger3=2

# Enable palm detection
    synclient PalmDetect=1
    synclient PalmMinWidth=3 
    synclient PalmMinZ=80
    Also, according to conky, my processor is not using turbo boost. Any ideas here?
    Last edited by wildmttrout; May 12th, 2012 at 05:17 AM.

Beans

It does seem the processor is not using turbo-boost. Below is the output from cpufreq-info

Code:
    cpufrequtils 007: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
    Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
    analyzing CPU 0:
      driver: acpi-cpufreq
      CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0 1 2 3
      CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
      maximum transition latency: 10.0 us.
      hardware limits: 800 MHz - 1.60 GHz
      available frequency steps: 1.60 GHz, 1.60 GHz, 1.50 GHz, 1.40 GHz, 1.30 GHz, 1.20 GHz, 1.10 GHz, 1000 MHz, 900 MHz, 800 MHz
      available cpufreq governors: conservative, ondemand, userspace, powersave, performance

Page 153 of 195 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163 ... LastLast