Page 124 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

I have a ux31 with elantech touchpad.

I have been waiting to move to linux till the storm of issues was calmer. I think it is about time to try an install.

However I experience issues with my keyboard and touchpad on windows (keystroke misses, erratic clicking of touchpad while dragging, premature drops etc). Currently my device is in repair.

I never read about issues in this thread. I wonder if linux users on the ux32 have these issues or not ?

Reactions welcome

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by u19809 View Post
    I have a ux31 with elantech touchpad.

I have been waiting to move to linux till the storm of issues was calmer. I think it is about time to try an install.

However I experience issues with my keyboard and touchpad on windows (keystroke misses, erratic clicking of touchpad while dragging, premature drops etc). Currently my device is in repair.

I never read about issues in this thread. I wonder if linux users on the ux32 have these issues or not ?

Reactions welcome
    I have the Sentelic touch pad, and I can confirm my experience with it has been about the same as yours on Windows. On Linux, I haven't really had many issues, it is definitely an improvement over the windows drivers, and I think others with the Elantec will tell you the same.

The keyboard is really a matter of preference, I have not had any problems with it that has been noticeable. I tend to push hard on my keys anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JohNan View Post
    hi.

I have been struct by the memory corruption bug described in the Wiki. The bugzilla ticket says that you can "repair" this by booting into windows and suspend-resume if dont get a BSOD or remove the battery. I cant boot into windows because of BSOD so I tried removing the battery. But that did not work either. Memtest still says I have corrupted memory and I get kernel panics in ubuntu and Windows cant boot.

Any suggestion what to try next?
    Did you wipe away the restore partition? or have the backup disks for the windows install that came with it? I would try restoring to factory state, and then trying the suspend / resume again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cromat View Post
    Did you wipe away the restore partition? or have the backup disks for the windows install that came with it? I would try restoring to factory state, and then trying the suspend / resume again.
    thanks for helping, but how would this affect the memory sticks/controller differently? Wouldnt a suspend in this state or a factory state treat the memory controller the same way?

could the memory have been damaged for real?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JohNan View Post
    thanks for helping, but how would this affect the memory sticks/controller differently? Wouldnt a suspend in this state or a factory state treat the memory controller the same way?

could the memory have been damaged for real?
    My thought was that the factory state reset, might treat the issue differently than trying to boot the os that expects the memory to exist in a certain state.

With the one year warranty you can always rma it to asus.

Beans

I've been testing a lot of kernels and reinstalled my system for serveral times now, and I think I've found the best option for me.

Ubuntu 12.04 (with gnome-session-fallback), kernel 3.3rc6, boot option "i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force", the powersaving script, the clickpad script from douglas.

With the screen brightness set to 0-20% (which is okay for almost every enviroment, except for direct sunlight), and cpufreq-indicator (which allows me to set CPU clock on all kernels at once) @800MHz or ondemand, I'm seeing about up to 8.5 hours (!) of battery life, and a discharge rate of ~5.5W.

No sudden shutdowns, and the wifi works perfect. I've had one disconnection so far, but that might as well be my servers fault.

Bluetooth does not seem to work though. But, I'm not going to use it anyway.

So far, so good!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just curious but why doesn't a mod change Ubunutu to Ubuntu?

Beans

booting linux from a USB 3 stick. is it possible/feasible ? I was thinking if use a fast 200MB/s key for speed reasons ?

comments ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by u19809 View Post
    booting linux from a USB 3 stick. is it possible/feasible ? I was thinking if use a fast 200MB/s key for speed reasons ?

comments ?
    I don't see why it wouldn't work, I only use usb to boot os installers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cromat View Post
    I don't see why it wouldn't work, I only use usb to boot os installers.
    usb 3 might be different perhaps ... donno ?

Page 124 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast