Thread: sudo halt : the system freezes ; gui shut down is OK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

sudo halt : the system freezes ; gui shut down is OK

Hi,
    since I have more than one pc with ubuntu installed I usually update them using command line via ssh , the problem is that if I give "sudo halt" the shutdown process begins but at one point the pc freezes and the only way to shutdown is to use the power button and then I have to turn on the pc and to shut it down via ligthdm interface. The curious thing is that shutting down via GUI (i.e. ligthdm or unity) works flawlessly .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb Re: sudo halt : the system freezes ; gui shut down is OK

Quote Originally Posted by magowiz82 View Post
    Hi,
    since I have more than one pc with ubuntu installed I usually update them using command line via ssh , the problem is that if I give "sudo halt" the shutdown process begins but at one point the pc freezes and the only way to shutdown is to use the power button and then I have to turn on the pc and to shut it down via ligthdm interface. The curious thing is that shutting down via GUI (i.e. ligthdm or unity) works flawlessly .
    THINK IT CAN HELP U.

SONA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: sudo halt : the system freezes ; gui shut down is OK

I use:

sudo shutdown -h now

Everything closes and powers off in about five seconds. (I save and quit programs first, or they are closed too)
    Ubuntu Manual - Webupd8 - Cinnamon! - Synapse
    Some just want to watch the world LEARN

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drofart View Post
    THINK IT CAN HELP U.

SONA
    I don't think so, I have exactly the oppose problem : with GUI it's ok and with CLI KO.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34 View Post
    I use:

sudo shutdown -h now

Everything closes and powers off in about five seconds. (I save and quit programs first, or they are closed too)
    With this command it shut down properly, which is the difference between halt and shutdown -h now ?

Beans
    Hidden!

from a brief look at the man page for halt, it might be to do with runlevel or something. i always use sudo shutdown -h now (or another time other than 'now')

a quick google indicates that perhaps if your ACPI isn't configured properly, halt won't call shutdown at the end.

Beans

I no longer have a gui shutodwn The on/off switch that used to live in the corner is no longer there, so i guess the only way to turn the pc off or reboot will be thru the terminal. Kind of a pain. Does anyone know where to install a new switch?
    Thanks,
    pakrat

Beans
    Hidden!

you might want to make a new topic, or use google

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aeiah View Post
    from a brief look at the man page for halt, it might be to do with runlevel or something. i always use sudo shutdown -h now (or another time other than 'now')

a quick google indicates that perhaps if your ACPI isn't configured properly, halt won't call shutdown at the end.
    I didn't know that ACPI needs to be configured, I saw that acpid service is running on problematic pc but I have the problem described above. How can I configure ACPI to fix this ?
    Anyway before upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 sudo halt was working flawlessly , I didn't change acpi configuration since then.
    Last edited by magowiz82; October 21st, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Last edited by magowiz82; October 23rd, 2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: removing useless "bump" and adding bug reference