Thread: Cannot switch user account in Oneiric

Beans

Unhappy Cannot switch user account in Oneiric

I installed 11.10 clean from the CD and I cannot switch users. When I am logged in and click either another user's name or "switch user account" from the users menu, I get a blank screen with just a flashing cursor top left. The only way to get back to something usable is to ctrl+alt+F7. The same thing happens when clicking switch user from the lock screen. Any ideas - I couldn't find a bug report that matched or figure out where best to post a new bug.

Beans

Re: Cannot switch user account in Oneiric

Same here. I created the same 4 user accounts as I had in Natty. I used the disc to clean install keeping data and software from before. Now my account will open and I get a strange desktop. No shutdown button. 2 other accounts won't open at all upon login. Just a black screen a flash or 2 then right back to the login screen.

Beans

That sounds like a slightly different problem to mine. I can log into either account, but never both at once. Have you tried deleting the ~/.Xauthority file and trying the accounts again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm having a similar problem with user switching. There seems to be a relevant bug report here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dm/+bug/884331