Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 11.10 wired network problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 11.10 wired network problem

Did it work?

From kernel 3.2 (Ubuntu 12.10) and on the r8169 should be significantly improved.

Greetings from Berlin

Beans

Thanks for your reply, Praseodym. Yes, my update worked but, no, I have never had any success with the r8169 driver.

Today I dealt with Update Manager's kernel updates (3.2.0-29-generic; I was using 3.2.0-27) for my Asus F1A75-M and P8Z68-M motherboards running 64-bit Pangolin.

I already had Realtek's 8.032 driver for the F1A75-M computer; I downloaded that driver for the P8Z68-M (www.realtek.com.tw > click on "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series Driver > go down to Unix (Linux) drivers (8.032.00--unless a later driver is available), downloaded the bzip2 compressed archive, and extracted the driver files (right-click or use bunzip2 in a terminal). I did all that before installing Update Manager's updates.

Then I installed Update Manager's updates and did the required reboot. I had to wait while the F1A75-M tried to start the Ethernet connection, which, of course, it could not do. Eventually the attempt timed out and the logon screen appeared. The P8Z68-M didn't attempt to start the Ethernet connection though the Ethernet wasn't there. In both cases I logged on, opened a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-t) changed directory to the location of the autorun.sh script (created when the bzip2 compressed archive was expanded) and typed

sudo ./autorun.sh

Both the sudo and the ./ are important. The script will run without sudo but it will create errors and be unsuccessful when the commands that require root privilege are invoked. The ./ prefix is needed because Linux will not otherwise permit a shell to be executed from the present directory (a security feature).

All easy enough to do. I don't want to complain because I've learned a lot dealing with this problem but I just wish that the issue and the solution (well, solutions, because I'm sure that mine isn't the only solution) could be better identified in Linux generally and Ubuntu more specifically. I'm concerned about the many potential users that will have abandonned Linux because of what appears to be an insurmountable problem. (People are really stuck without an Internet connection.) I'm beginning to really like Linux; I'm even beginning to like Unity and Gnome 3. But if I hadn't received help, I also might have turned back to a proprietary operating system.

I thank everyone who has provided advice on this thread.

Brian

Asus F1A75-M, AMD A4-3400, 8 GB DDR3, Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, RAID 1, LVM
    Asus P8Z68-M, Intel Core i5-2500K, 8 GB DDR3, Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
    Asus Aspire R3610, Intel Atom 330, 4 GB DDR2, Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit

Beans

Angry Re: 11.10 wired network problem

okay, the update seems to have solved some connection issues, BUT, now my problem is it will only connect at 54mbps, i have tried to use ndiswrapper and it works to get it going, but this does not always work/never works on boot.
    i dont have much experience with ubuntu, but i tried to use the series of commands in 30(?) which was a compilation of the fix...i am running ubuntu 12.10 using a usb wifi adaptor
    any suggestions? and/or questions?
    im pretty sure when i reboot, i will have a serious problem and have to hardwire, as the commands that i did put in where not followed thru due to errors...i got to about 3/9 commands without errors.

*whoops, can someone direct me to a similar thread in 12.10?* if it makes a difference, i have had 11.10...but had to reformat and re-flash the update to 12.10(boot issues)
    oh, and yes...i had to hardwire, but before i install ndiswrapper again, i will confirm that there is not a better work around.
    i suppose i should mention i am dual booting winxp and ubuntu 12.10
    Last edited by ubnoob1986; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:43 AM. Reason: couple added blurbs

Beans

Hello, I would like to enter the discussion with a similar situation: I can ping my server, then upon trying to access a website, the ethernet stops and I can't ping anything until I reboot the machine. I looked at /var/log/kern.log and saw some messages, ---[ cut here ]--- , WARNING dev_watchdog..., ...timed out, swapper_tainted, warn_slowpath_common, and so forth, after the failure. My machine uses a gigabyte MB with a built-in eth0, uses the realTek r8169. There is a dual boot, Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric ocelot) 64 bit, on top of Windows 7 home 32 bit. The browser is firefox v.18. The microprocessor is an intel i5. I wonder if there are specific items in the message log I might look for to indicate what might be wrong. The problem is intermittant. I get the feeling that after inserting, copying, several USB drives, that there is a higher probability of failure. Now it's working fine. Thanks for reading this, jacklex.

Beans
    Distro

There is a new driver version 35 available. Try to install it with dkms according to this:

http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/la.../#post-3005217

"r8168 mittels dkms"

Beans

Thank you praseodym for the suggestion. Before I try this, I need to add a few observations. First, the v.35 r8168 was tested with 32 bit OS. I have 64 bit. Don't know whether this is important. That the r8169 (which I have) is not written by the same group suggests r8168 might be more likely to function correctly. Second, I notice that when I grep /var/log/kern.log with r8169 the log gives info on eth0 ... link up... link down, etc. However, there is no ability to connect even when link is up. Third, most of the time I can connect just fine. And Firefox works on Windows 7 consistently well. Fourth, I have a desktop and not a laptop. I wonder if the posts which mention the power management system (ASPM) would apply (mostly?) to laptops and (not?) to a desktop. After I polish my German I may attempt installing r8168 v.35.

Beans
    Distro

So far, I heard of no problem with 64bit systems.

Beans

It's been over a year since I first wrote in this thread (my first forum ever), and it's been a while since I last wrote. I've been doing fine by simply replacing the r8169 driver with Realtek's own r8168 driver after each kernel update.

However, the issue always bugged me. I started reading more about Linux, and I went through all the commands in Realtek's autoexec.sh script to understand how they worked (yes, it took hours and hours). Then today something hit me when I typed (after installing the 3.2.0-40 kernel update):
    lspci>tempfile; grep Realtek tempfile
    and then
    ls $(find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -name realtek)
    and then
    lsmod>tempfile; grep r8169 tempfile

The first command told me that I had the Realtek RTL8111/8168 controller (obviously!).

The second command told me that the r8169 controller was installed.

And the third command, which didn't give a response, told me (after I realized what the lack of response meant) that the r8169 was not loaded. And then I remember one writer, praseodym it may have been, mentioning that the r8169 was expected to be fixed by the autumn of 2012. And then I also remembered blacklisting the r8169 in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. So I thought, let's look in blacklist.conf. I opened it, removed the commenting character "# " ahead of blacklist r8169, saved the file, restarted, and presto, the Ethernet's is working . . . with the r8169 driver . . . after a year . . . for me (earlier for others!).

lsmod>tempfile; grep r8169 tempfile
    gives a response, showing that the r8169 module is loaded.

In a way, the r8169 was a blessing in disguise; it bugged me so much that I took the effort to really learn how the commands in Realtek's script worked (of course, I went beyond just those commands), and it's paid off. I've been doing things I wouldn't have considered attempting a year ago (setting up a 12.04 server for a small family network working only from the command line, installing LVM on the server, getting rid of Samba, setting up NFS, and so on).

I wish to think all those who have written on the thread, whether to me or to others. I especially thank praseodym and varunendra. I really appreciate your encouragement and that of the other writers.

Brian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by abriano View Post
    ....And then I also remembered blacklisting the r8169 in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

I wish to think all those who have written on the thread, whether to me or to others. I especially thank praseodym and varunendra. I really appreciate your encouragement and that of the other writers.
    And we sure are lucky to have interested users like you on the forums
    You're most welcome, and once again, thank you Brian for the valuable feedback!
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678