Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ATI & Gnome 3 problems on Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ATI & Gnome 3 problems on Ubuntu 11.10

The latest ATI Catalyst dirver 12.1 is better the old ones, GNOME 3 is usable but I'm facing two problems.
    The first problem (Which is not very important but little bit annoying) is that GNOME Shell is a little bit slow, and the second one (Which is very serious problem) that GNOME sometimes falshes and disappears for a few seconds then returns back, but sometimes it disappears and somehow it falls back to Classic mode, the panel disappears and there's no available function except ctrl+alt+del to logout and then login again.
    Does anyone have any clues?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: ATI & Gnome 3 problems on Ubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by emptycoder View Post
    Does anyone have any clues?
    Yeah, two:

1) next time I'm gettin' an Nvidia card, that's for sure, as much as I love AMD

2) I tried Fedora 16, Debian Wheezy, Precise Pangolin, and the result is always the same: the user experience on gnome-shell (or Unity) is horrible, horrendous, it gets me so frustrated I'd like to bang my head on my LCD screen... well, almost...

GNOME3 (GTK3?) has serious stability issues: software update crashes regularly on F16, I seem to remember something very similar on PP12.04 (it's either apt-get or yum updates, the GUI would always crash), aside from the fact that you still have to hunt down every bloody Unity customization and get rid of it any way you can just to have menus that don't disappear or force you to move your mouse pointer from the corner (where the menu gets activated) to the middle (where the actual menu is located).

AMD/ATI drivers are possibly in an even worse condition: I have a great C-50 netbook, still waiting for a decent kernel or a truly accelerated driver for video playback. Gee, thanks AMD!
    On a quad core desktop with a 5570 I frankly don't see much of a difference: when I manage to get smooth 1080p video playback (not that often, catch my drift?) I always suppose I have the CPU to thank...

Sorry for the angry post, but this is truly the way I feel, and I've been stuck in this situation ever since I bought those two systems almost 6 months ago...

And I'd hate to be stuck with *******...

ADMINS: could someone please oh please REMOVE the "SOLVED" tag from this thread? It really feels like a bad joke...

Beans

Hi,
    I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 on a Dell Latitude D810 with an ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600 graphics card.

Must an ATI graphics card have an AMD driver, or can I use a NVIDIA driver for my current hardware?

Other contextual information that might be helpful:

I have some kind of opensource AMD driver installed through the Software Center that keeps my everyday display running smoothly.

I need to upgrade my driver to obtain full OpenGL support for a game I'm trying to run using Wine.

The game is DDO, and uses the program pylotro as a surrogate launcher to run the game. One or both of these programs requires the OpenGL support.

Any and all assistance would be appreciated; Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You're right arkeo, I have marked the thread as unsolved, my bad sorry.
    And yes, you're tottaly right! buying a laptop with ATI driver was one of my biggest mistake that I have ever done, next time when I'm gonna buy new laptop I will stick wtih Nividia, those ATI developers are so lazy, I thought that they will fix all GNOME 3 Shell's problems on the next Driver release, I sent a mail to them and they told me they're still working on it, duh!
    Right now I'm trying so hard to find any possible fix 'cos I'm stuck with this horrible driver and have no choice.
    The Open Source Driver doing very well, GNOME is so smooth but there's an overheating problem that I couldn't fix it!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345