Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA xserver problems loss of dual monitors Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: NVIDIA xserver problems loss of dual monitors Ubuntu 11.10

Hi all,

This is my xorg.conf file. It is rather simple and the NVIDIA control program does not want to load it and clearly no useful modifications have been made.

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

I am a bit nervous about playing around with it. I have had disasters were it won't boot up into the desktop and I could not get the terminal to run to try to fix it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

David

D

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by David Crockett View Post
    This is my xorg.conf file. It is rather simple and the NVIDIA control program does not want to load it and clearly no useful modifications have been made.
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier    "Default Screen"
        Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals"    "True"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier    "Default Device"
        Option    "NoLogo"    "True"
    EndSection
    I am a bit nervous about playing around with it. I have had disasters were it won't boot up into the desktop and I could not get the terminal to run to try to fix it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    David
    So the most basic of Xorg file would be:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        Driver    "default"
    EndSection
    Where there is a "driver" line pointing to a particular driver... See something missing in yours?

The next pieces in a dual display would be a distinct monitor section for each monitor, a distinct screen section for each monitor and a screen server layout section that places the individual screens into some kind of logical order....

NVidia Settings does not work for you because you are not using NVidia drivers. That would be a line in your device section that would say:
    Code:
      Drivers   "nvidia"
    Do you have NVidia Drivers installed yet? (Giving a benefit of doubt of maybe just a bad xorg.conf file...)
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

I was having this same issue, and installing the 'current' driver at least allowed me to get my second monitor active.

It still won't use my 2nd monitor as the main monitor though - in fact, toggling the 'Make this the primary display for the X screen' option in the NVIDIA X Server Settings dialog and hitting apply does absolutely nothing. And, in fact - disabling my 2nd monitor and hitting apply, causes the screen to go black for a bit - but both screens come back and are still active.

These drivers are very sketchy.

Here's my xorg.conf while I'm at it:

Code:
    # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
    # nvidia-settings:  version 280.13  (buildd@yellow)  Fri Aug  5 12:31:28 UTC 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "LEN"
        HorizSync       61.0 - 73.2
        VertRefresh     40.0 - 60.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "Quadro FX 3700M"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "1"
        Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
        Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    The login screen shows up on the external monitor, but after that the main display is the laptop again. Or maybe it's just Unity doesn't support a display setup like that?
    Last edited by blitzd; October 26th, 2011 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Added xorg.conf

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by blitzd View Post
    I was having this same issue, and installing the 'current' driver at least allowed me to get my second monitor active.

It still won't use my 2nd monitor as the main monitor though - in fact, toggling the 'Make this the primary display for the X screen' option in the NVIDIA X Server Settings dialog and hitting apply does absolutely nothing. And, in fact - disabling my 2nd monitor and hitting apply, causes the screen to go black for a bit - but both screens come back and are still active.

These drivers are very sketchy.

Here's my xorg.conf while I'm at it:

Code:
    # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
    # nvidia-settings:  version 280.13  (buildd@yellow)  Fri Aug  5 12:31:28 UTC 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "LEN"
        HorizSync       61.0 - 73.2
        VertRefresh     40.0 - 60.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "Quadro FX 3700M"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "1"
        Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
        Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    The login screen shows up on the external monitor, but after that the main display is the laptop again. Or maybe it's just Unity doesn't support a display setup like that?
    Still working on the OP's problem... This is my weekend, so in and out until Friday. Could you do me a a favor? Could you please repost your post request in my Sticky and I'll take car of you there... Have Ideas on yours, but rushed today-- And do not want you to fall through the cracks. with not getting helped...
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637

Beans
    Distro

I had the same problem after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10. My system has an older nVidia 6800 XT card and I installed the current recommended driver from the proprietary driver list. My main monitor was working fine but I couldn't enable my second monitor through System Settings/Displays. I solved the problem by running 'sudo nvidia-settings' from the command line, which allowed me to enable the second monitor in twin view mode (could not make it work as separate X-screen). So now both monitors are working.
    Last edited by Menyus; October 28th, 2011 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have found no solution so far. I find that Tomboy and Evolution are also broken and will not sync.

I am very unhappy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Still working on the OP's problem... This is my weekend, so in and out until Friday. Could you do me a a favor? Could you please repost your post request in my Sticky and I'll take car of you there... Have Ideas on yours, but rushed today-- And do not want you to fall through the cracks. with not getting helped...
    Hey MAFoElffen,

Thanks for the help offer but after a series of calamities with Ubuntu/NVidia/Fedora/openSUSE I've downgraded my laptop to Windows.

I ran Ubuntu for a year and a half without real issues both at home and work, but my workstation setup in both locales has since become dual-monitor and that seems to be a real sticking point for many Linux distros. In trying to create install media/perform an install, I just reached the end of my rope. Brasero gets stuck on checksums still in 11.10, the usb creator doesn't create an actual working usb-install, openSUSE net install pauses randomly until the mouse is moved, openSUSE live-cd install crashes half way through with an inst-finish error, Ubuntu 11.10 install gets stuck at 'installing system' for multiple hours, and on and on and on. I spent the whole day dueling with distros, and in the end when nothing else would work I just gave up and popped Win 7 back in - and the whole thing went off without a hitch. Same thing happened back in 2006 when I first joined the forums actually, but that time I only managed to go a few months with Ubuntu. Maybe next time it'll actually stick!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: NVIDIA xserver problems loss of dual monitors Ubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    After thinking about this. One more idea.

Look in your home directory and turn on "show hidden files ( <cntrll><h> ) and "~/.config/"... In the .config directory, look to see if there is a file called "monitors.xml". If there is delete it.

Doing that may reset the system settings > Displays applet into working for you with 2 displays.
    This solved my problem. Thanks.

My config. was nvidia GEforce 8400 on HP pavilion 3005 TX.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I have still not been able to solve it.

My /etc/X11/xorg.conf seems to have been replaced by the following rather simple one:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

I don't know how to revise this. I have done the third party driver download thing and the NVIVIA X server settings program does not seem to know how to reconfigure my Xorg.conf file. And I do not know how to get it to do so or really how to do it manually. I have tried to do so and made a mess and ended up reinstalling Ubuntu.

The results of the lspci command. Mine gives the following results.

crockett@cuneatus-1-0:~$ sudo lspci
    [sudo] password for crockett:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P Processor to AGP Controller (rev 02)
    00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Processor to PCI to CSA Bridge (rev 02)
    00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18GL [Quadro NVS 280 SD] (rev a2)
    02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    03:06.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100 (rev 0d)

I am at a loss as to what to do. If you don't get it right it can be a real disaster.

Regards,
    David

Beans
    Distro

Hi all,

The NVIDIA X server settings app will not load the configuration page:

The error message is:

Unable to load X Server Display Configuration page:

Failed to query NoScanout for screen 0.

David