Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubuntu 11.10 from USB - how to?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Lubuntu 11.10 from USB - how to?

Thanks, I'll certainly be looking at your guides. Luckily I've experimented on Live USB with several Ubuntu variants nearly a year, and have pretty much settled on Lubuntu 10.10 for the netbook.

I have to say, if I was totally new, I'd be angry that the installation to a USB thumb drive actually results in GRUB installed on my hard drive, with no easy way to get rid of it. As it is, I'm happy enough to continue working with Lubuntu on dual boot, since I like it.

I'm not an operating system enthusiast who is willing to reinstall every few weeks - I ran XP on machines for years on end without reinstalling or any serious problems - all I want is reliability, speed and a good software selection to do the things I do. I'm hoping Lubuntu will hold up and that this HDD install will not create nuisance challenges.
    New to Linux. Currently dual boot Lubuntu 10.10 with W7 on Acer One netbook. Experimenting with Mint 15 XFCE on netbook and a Dell laptop with peripherals (Persistent 8GB Live USB.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Lubuntu 11.10 from USB - how to?

Quote Originally Posted by I2k4 View Post
    Thanks, I'll certainly be looking at your guides. Luckily I've experimented on Live USB with several Ubuntu variants nearly a year, and have pretty much settled on Lubuntu 10.10 for the netbook.
    I do my tests on two PCs but before a year, I was testing on External HDD.

I have to say, if I was totally new, I'd be angry that the installation to a USB thumb drive actually results in GRUB installed on my hard drive, with no easy way to get rid of it.
    I see your point. Problem is, don't get me wrong though please, many users don't pay much attention to this step which is the most critical step: Device for Boot Loader Installation

If you continue with the above option, GRUB will be installed to sda (MBR) NO MATTER where you choose to install Lubuntu.

While if you carry on with the above option selected which is "Installing GRUB to sda6", then GRUB will be installed on the SAME Partition where your Lubuntu will be.
    In this case, you must have main OS which has GRUB (if Linux) which will be controlling the whole booting process (Dual or Multi-Booting).

I have set my 9 Multi-Booting System according to this way and it's very successful, just need some attention.

I'm not an operating system enthusiast who is willing to reinstall every few weeks - I ran XP on machines for years on end without reinstalling or any serious problems - all I want is reliability, speed and a good software selection to do the things I do.
    With Linux, as long as you know what you are doing and how to do things, you'll never have to re-install unless there is something huge happened.

I'm hoping Lubuntu will hold up and that this HDD install will not create nuisance challenges.
    Even if there will be, everyone here including myself will jump to help so relax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12