Thread: 11.10 upgrade problems

Beans

11.10 upgrade problems

I am a fairly new linux user, but have been able so far to solve problems with a web search. This time I'm stumped.

Just upgraded to 11.10, and nothing will run from the unity panel. Also cannot open firefox, evolution, or most anything else, even from a terminal. Getting "symbol lookup error".

About all that works is the terminal. Can't open any folders.

Would appreciate any suggestions from those with more expertise...

(Able to write this because I have a Windows dual-boot system).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 11.10 upgrade problems

Hi, welcome to the fora.

An online upgrade can really make a mess. Often the fastest solution is a fresh install as explained in the link below.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

OK, so I should have not trusted an online upgrade...lesson 1.

And now, if I do a fresh install, I will lose significant information from existing programs. My biggest concern is losing saved emails and contacts from evolution, but a number of other files also. since I cannot access any folders, and wouldn't know where to look if I could, this is a significant drawback to a fresh install.

It appears this whole linux experiment was a mistake. The reliability is not at a level I can trust for a business computer. The 11.04 upgrade was not smooth, and now this is just disastrous.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by mak320 View Post

And now, if I do a fresh install, I will lose significant information from existing programs. My biggest concern is losing saved emails and contacts from evolution, but a number of other files also. since I cannot access any folders, and wouldn't know where to look if I could, this is a significant drawback to a fresh install.

It appears this whole linux experiment was a mistake. The reliability is not at a level I can trust for a business computer. The 11.04 upgrade was not smooth, and now this is just disastrous.
    Don't give up on Ubuntu/Linux just yet, once you get set up it's a great system. As for your files, if you create a live CD of 11.10 (or whichever Ubuntu version) you should be able to mount your hard disk and load any important files on a USB memory stick before redoing your install. EDIT: Just make sure you click "Try Ubuntu" when doing this.
    Last edited by mihalybaci; October 20th, 2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Quick note
    If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mak320 View Post

A few tips...

1- Use IMAP instead of POP. It helps you recover more of your email changes because it stores everything on the email server and it doesn't make you dependent on your computer. (You can export the address book very easily and import it later too)

2- For the files, just backup the content your home directory (not the hidden directories, only the ones you see in normal browsing) and copy them to your new home directory merging it with the existing directories. This way all of your files will be distributed in your home directory just like they were in your old system. (You can find you Home directory in /home/[user_name]/ )

3- On business computers always stick to LTS releases.
    Last edited by Meelad; October 20th, 2011 at 02:41 AM.