Thread: Gnubuntu? Discuss.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gnubuntu? Discuss.

I know, I know, I know that everyone complains that we don't need yet another ubuntu spin. Also, I'm sure someone has already thought of this (Gnatty project?).

Nevertheless, as Ubuntu moves forward with Unity as its central focus, doesn't it seem appropriate that there be a new official 'buntu release focusing on the Gnome shell/ Gnome Fallback desktop? Let me put it this another way, if Lubuntu is now an official release, doesn't it stand to reason that there should at least be a gnomecentric 'buntu as well? Hence,

Gnubuntu?

Let's face it, even though Gnome Shell and Gnome Fallback are available, the proper integration of shell / fallback into Ubuntu is always going to take a back seat to Unity 3d/2d from now on. Furthermore, it would be nice to have a functional 'buntu .iso sans unity packages.

Seems like an opportunity for someone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gnubuntu? Discuss.

To be honest, with oneric its so easy to install gnome-shell and remove unity I don't really see this as necessary.

And I am quite happy with gnome-shell's current implementation in ubuntu.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    To be honest, with oneric its so easy to install gnome-shell and remove unity I don't really see this as necessary.

The goal, most likely, would be to continue the legacy that is Gnome 2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I agree with this.

Originally I thought a "Shellbuntu" or something would be a great idea. But, all I need to do is just sudo apt-get install gnome-shell and relogin. It's a painless and quick (took me about 1.5 minutes to set up) switch compared to, for example, kubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop which drag in loads of dependencies and extra stuff. A dedicated Shell version of Ubuntu would not be worth the effort.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would find this compelling were it not for the fact that you could say the same about all the alternative desktop environments--i.e. xubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu are all just a few clicks away in the software store.

The nice thing about any of these having its own .iso is that folks can fire up a live cd to see how it operates on their computer before installing it.

You might not think so over time. Just look at the disparity between what Ubuntu and Mint have done with Gnome 2.x vs. a vanilla Gnome 2.x install on, say, Debian. It would be nice to have a project working on integration for the next release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    I would find this compelling were it not for the fact that you could say the same about all the alternative desktop environments--i.e. xubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu are all just a few clicks away in the software store.

The nice thing about any of these having its own .iso is that folks can fire up a live cd to see how it operates on their computer before installing it.

You might not think so over time. Just look at the disparity between what Ubuntu and Mint have done with Gnome 2.x vs. a vanilla Gnome 2.x install on, say, Debian. It would be nice to have a project working on integration for the next release.
    Its not the same. Installing xfce or KDE will pull in FAR more dependencies than installing gnome-shell will. Ubuntu already uses the whole gnome 3 stack, its a super small install to get gnome-shell.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

+1.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I am happy with Unity and to a lesser extent with Gnome Shell, so I don't really care. But Linux is about choice, if someone actually wants to keep gnome2 alive more power to them even though I wouldn't be using something that is dead (I can see someone keeping it around but it is unrealistic to expect any developement)