Thread: Trouble with some apps

Beans

Trouble with some apps

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to Ubuntu. I upgraded to Xubuntu 11.10 last night and am having some problems with some of the applications. I am a bigger fan of Chrome than I am of Firefox so one of the first things that I did was install Chromium. It installed fine and I was actually able to use it for a few minutes. Then I got a notification that there was some security updates to install. I then restarted the system to allow updates to complete. When the system rebooted, I was unable to launch Chrome or the Transmission app no matter how I launched it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these to work?

Also, I am unable to view YouTube videos through the Firefox Browser. I have already installed the restricted extras to include Adobe Flash but it is still not working. I really did not have any problem with Ubuntu 11.04. I just really did not like the layout of unity. I would really like to try and get Xubuntu to work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Trouble with some apps

Did you get any error messages indicating what was wrong when you tried to launch the applications?

Tip, if you try to launch them from a terminal there is a bigger chance that you will catch any error messages.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tors View Post
    Did you get any error messages indicating what was wrong when you tried to launch the applications?

Tip, if you try to launch them from a terminal there is a bigger chance that you will catch any error messages.
    The funny thing is that I don't get any errors at all when trying to launch either one. It is like they are clickable icons with no further action. Whenever I get back to the house, I am going to try to launch them from Terminal to see if I get any errors.

Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Did you find any error messages?