Thread: video drivers???

Beans

video drivers???

hi all,i am suffering from the dreaded freeze problems and i read chenging the video drivers may help,i dont have any propietary drivers in additional drivers so how would i uninstall and install and veiw what drivers i am curently using,my laptop is a hp g62 3g ram t4500 intel,thanx in advance

dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: video drivers???

Open a terminal, enter "lspci" and look for the line containing "VGA". If, as I suspect, that says you have an Intel chip, the drivers are already installed. The Additional Drivers option only applies to AMD or Nvidia cards/chips.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you're getting freezing problems, it might be graphics drivers or it might be bad RAM.

If you're using Intel graphics, those are pretty stable on Linux. So your next stop should be checking for bad RAM using Memtest86+ (run it all night).

If there are no errors when you wake up in the morning, try Phoronix Test Suite's memory benchmarks - they can often crash the computer instantly if it's a RAM problem.

If you do have bad RAM, the only course of action is to get the RAM in your computer replaced.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

thnx for the replys so far,ur rite it says intel graphics in terminal,i will try the memory test tonite and see what comes up,i just bought this last week so i would hope it doesnt have bad ram and windows 7 works fine on it,i havent tried many diferent distros on this machine,i am running luninux and i really like it so i hope i dont have to change,i updated the kernel to 3.1 as i read that may help and updated the bios hoping that would also help but none have so far,such a weird thing,it will freeze 5 times in one day then wont do it for 2 days,not sure what to do,return the laptop and try a diferent brand or specs or try a diferent distro,i have been reading mannnnnnny posts on freezing in 11.04 so i think its common,hope someone has a sollution soon,thanx for replys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi Gene,

I bought a g6 yesterday with an i5 and 4GB Ram. It has Intel Video also.. I can't even get my to boot to the install screen unless I edit the boot line to include 'nomodeset' Otherwise I get a black screen.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the video supported well enough to get the correct screen resolution and 3D (read compiz) graphics.

Can you tell me what video driver you are using and other than the freezing, do you have 3D support with Ubuntu 11.10?

Did you have to clear the restore partition and/or the HP tools partition to make an available primary partition flag for your install?

Thanks...

Here's my request for help, but as usual, the community my requests.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1864326
    MacPro 5,1 - 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, AMD HD 7970
    Optical-Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SSUBX Apple SSD, 4TB WD, 4TB Barracuda
    Sonnet Allegro Pro USB 3.0/SOLO-X2/OS X 10.11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gene simmons View Post
    hi all,i am suffering from the dreaded freeze problems and i read chenging the video drivers may help,i dont have any propietary drivers in additional drivers so how would i uninstall and install and veiw what drivers i am curently using,my laptop is a hp g62 3g ram t4500 intel,thanx in advance

dave

install htop

sudo apt-get install htop

open a terminal

run htop

htop

put it off in the corner and keep and eye on your CPU usage when its freezing. If the CPU is maxed, look to see what process is causing it. It should be listed at the top. It is probably compiz.

install gnome-shell to see if you get a smoother ride

For me, gnome-shell was a night and day difference to unity with an intel card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Windows reserves up to 2 GiB of memory for itself, and never uses much of it. Linux only reserves what it uses, and tries to use as much as possible when it can to speed things up. Therefore, it's possible to not notice a problem in Windows because the faulty part is within the reserved-but-unused space.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.