Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 deleted Lotus Notes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 deleted Lotus Notes

Dear all,

I upgraded to Oneiric yesterday and one of the applications I use the most was deleted: Lotus Notes 8.5.3.

Today I tried to re-install Lotus Notes and things got a bit tricky, running the deb package I get this error:

Code:
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     ibm-lotus-notes:i386
    Not much information so I tried to install this package:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install ibm-lotus-notes:i386
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    ibm-lotus-notes:i386 is already the newest version.
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     ibm-lotus-notes:i386 : Depends: gdb:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: coreutils:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: unzip:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: bash:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: procps:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: grep:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: sed:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libart-2.0-2:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libbonobo2-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libbonoboui2-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libgconf2-4:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libgnome2-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libgnomecanvas2-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libgnome-desktop-2:i386 but it is not installable or
                                     libgnome-desktop-2-7:i386 but it is not installable or
                                     libgnome-desktop-2-11:i386 but it is not installable or
                                     libgnome-desktop-2-17:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libgnomeprint2.2-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libgnomeprintui2.2-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libgnomeui-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libgnomevfs2-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: liborbit2:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libpopt0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libxkbfile1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libxml2:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libxp6:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libxtst6:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                            Recommends: ttf-xfree86-nonfree:i386 but it is not installable
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    When I run 'apt-get -f install' I'm asked to remove a boatload of packages, including things like Java or LibreOffice.

So the main question is how to install Lotus Notes on Ubuntu 11.10. And second question would be why did the upgrade deleted an application, something that had never happened to me before.

Thank you.

Beans

Re: Upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 deleted Lotus Notes

Notes did not get uninstalled. The console sais: ibm-lotus-notes:i386 is already the newest version. You can verify this by opening the folders, where you installed Notes. Standard folder is /opt/ibm/lotus/notes. But is has now many unmet dependencies, since Ubuntu 11.10 is no more based on gnome 2 but on gnome 3. You have to try to install the packages mentioned, then maybe Notes will run again. But is is very likely that you do not see an icon to start Notes, because Ubuntu 11.10 uses the Unity desktop and I think Notes installation does not create a start icon for it. In that case, you need to create your own. Hope this helps somehow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I upgraded too and the /opt/IBM/lotus/notes directory was still there and populated, but it wouldn't start. I created soft links to all the *.so files in opt/IBM/lotus/notes to /usr/lib like this.
    Code:
    cd /opt/ibm/lotus/notes
    for file in $(ls *.so); do
       sudo ln -s /opt/ibm/lotus/notes/${file} /usr/lib/${file}
    done
    I then re-downloaded and re-installed the "getlibs-all.deb" from http://frozenfox.freehostia.com/cappy.

Then rebooted. After it came back up, I opened a terminal window and did this and Lotus Notes started!
    Code:
    cd /opt/ibm/lotus/notes
    ./lnotes
    There are a bunch of errors in the command line window, but it seems to be running fine.

I have to figure out some way to make a new short cut in my menus. This new Ubuntu interface is still confusing to me.
    Last edited by kah00na; October 20th, 2011 at 08:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well, it looks like the reboot also made the Lotus Notes icons now show up in the search results (Clicking the Ubuntu logo button, then typing "lotus" in the search box). I just had to drag it to the bar on the left side of my screen. That was easy.

Beans
    Distro

Folks, when I say "deleted" I really mean deleted.

Code:
    $ ls -la /opt/ibm/lotus/notes
    total 5372
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root    root      36864 2011-10-19 12:14 .
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root    root       4096 2011-07-22 13:13 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root    root       4096 2011-10-19 12:14 jvm
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 desousa desousa  116732 2010-01-15 21:30 libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 desousa desousa   67240 2010-01-15 21:30 libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 desousa desousa  679940 2010-01-15 21:30 libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 desousa desousa 4579940 2010-01-15 21:30 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
    Those .so.0 got there already after the upgrade in one of the failed attempts to re-install. The ibm-lotus-notes:i386 package was there also because of these attempts. I had to remove it because with it installed I wasn't able to either update or upgrade.

By the way there are other reports of the upgrade doing this to Lotes Notes and further applications. I perfectly understand that some software may not work after an upgrade, but removing it is bit too much, IMHO.

The indications by kah00na are a good start but I need to get the software installed first...

Thanks,

Luís

Beans
    Distro

To experiment with kah00na's suggestion I tried once again the installation following the IBM guide. Though it ends up also with the error on the ibm-lotus-notes:i386 the /ibm/lotus/notes directory got populated, which allowed me to run kah00na's instructions.

After rebooting I tried it and got this error:

Code:
    $ ./lnotes
    ./lnotes: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    If anyone has any other suggestion please let me know. Thank you,

Luís

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lads View Post
    After rebooting I tried it and got this error:
    Code:
    $ ./lnotes
    ./lnotes: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    I have the same problem, don't know how to solve it

Beans
    Distro

This Ubuntu release is up for a fight. These being early days after the release I run the upgrade everyday. This morning aptitude reported hundreds of conflicting packages that had to be removed, among these where unity, compiz, virtualbox, tex-live, texmaker and more, rendering the system useless. I'm re-installing these packages from the CD right now to see if I can save this install. Pretty neat.
    Last edited by lads; October 24th, 2011 at 09:59 AM.

Beans

This is work for me. ubuntu 11.10 x64 with ibm lotus notes 8.5.3
    1. you should use getlib (https://launchpad.net/~jcollins/+arc...7Eppa2_all.deb) to get all needed ia32 library.
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install libgnomeprintui2.2-0 ia32-libs ttf-xfree86-nonfree t1-xfree86-nonfree

sudo getlibs -p libgnomeprintui2.2-0 libgnomeprint2.2-0 libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomeui-0 libxkbfile1 libstartup-notification0 libsepol1 libselinux1 libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-dev librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libavahi-client3 libavahi-common3 libavahi-glib1 libbonoboui2-0 libcroco3 libdbus-1-3 libdbus-glib-1-2  libgnome2-0 libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnome-keyring0 libgnome-menu2 libesd0 gtk2-engines libgnome-desktop-2-17 libmotif4 libmotif3 libgnome-desktop-3-0 libavahi-glib1 gtk2-engines-oxygen gtk2-engines-aurora gtk2-engines-qtcurve  gtk2-engines-murrine gtk2-engines-equinox  alsa-base alsa-utils iproute gnome-desktop-3-2 liborbit2 libbonobo2-0 libgconf2-4
    2. unpack the deb (ibm-lotus-notes-8.5.3.i586.deb) to remove the dependence in file UNPACK/DEBIAN/control, let it be blank, if you need sametime feature, do the same thing in ibm-lotus-sametime-8.5.3.i586.deb
      Code:
      Pre-Depends:
      Depends:
      Recommends:
      Conflicts:
    3. rename original deb to avoid override the origin package.
      Code:
      sudo dpkg-deb -b ibm-lotus-notes-8.5.3.i586
      install the deb of lotus notes
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i –force-all ibm-lotus-notes-8.5.3.i586.deb
    4. you need do a gtk hack of notes, you can get the source code from https://github.com/sgh/lotus-notes_gtk2.23.3/
      maybe you should change the permission of the libnotesgtkfix.so.
      Code:
      make
      chmod +x notes-wrapper
      sudo cp notes-wrapper libnotesgtkfix.so /opt/ibm/lotus/notes/
    5. modify the LotusNotes8.5.desktop file(PATH /usr/share/applications)
      Code:
      [Desktop Entry]
      Encoding=UTF-8
      Name=Lotus Notes 8.5
      Type=Application
      Exec=env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/ibm/lotus/notes/:/usr/lib32/:/usr/lib32/i386-linux-gnu/ /opt/ibm/lotus/notes/framework/../notes-wrapper %F
      Icon=/opt/ibm/lotus/notes/framework/shared/eclipse/features/com.ibm.notes.links.feature_8.5.3.20110916-0921/icons/notes.ico
      Terminal=false
      Categories=Application;Office;
    6. enjoy your notes.
    7. some tips, you can ldd your notes to check what library leak.

reference guide
    http://usablesoftware.wordpress.com/...u-11-04-64bit/

PS. i dont suggest you do symbol link like as kah00na. I strongly suggest you use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to fix the search order of libraries which notes need. The simply way is my list point 5
    Last edited by Niise; November 1st, 2011 at 03:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hello Niise, thank you for your reply.

I installed getlibs and then proceeded with libraries. Three of them failed: libmotif3, libgnome-desktop-3-0 and gnome-desktop-3-2. Even after adding the Gnome3 PPA getlibs can't find them and browsing the Ubuntu repo pages it seems they've been deleted.

I have no idea what you mean with point 2. Which deb should I unpack? And then what file should I edit to set the blanks?

Anyways, trying to install the lotus notes deb package after installing the libraries with getlibs yields exactly the same result I reported in the opening of this thread.

Thank you,

Luís

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast