Thread: Change the behavior of the 11.10 menu bar?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Change the behavior of the 11.10 menu bar?

The way the "menu bar" for individual applications works in 11.04 and 11.10 seems very counter-intuitive to me (perhaps because I have never been a MAC user.

I want the menu bar to behave in a manner summed up in this image:

• The top "menu bar" belongs to the topmost fullscreen application (in the example, Chrome) if there is one available.
    • If a running application is not fullscreen (in the example, GEdit), it will have its own menu bar which becomes visible when you hover over its "window bar".
    • Clicking the top menu bar will bring you to the topmost fullscreen application (in the example, Chrome) just as if you had clicked anywhere inside the application's fullscreen window.

Are there any settings that can be tweaked or any extensions that allow such behavior?

Also, what is the name of the program I want to modify the behavior of? Gnome? XOrg? Compiz? I don't quite understand where the line between those software packages is.
    Last edited by IQAndreas; October 18th, 2011 at 11:31 PM.

Beans

Re: Change the behavior of the 11.10 menu bar?

I also would like to know this, I made a post earlier about this but received no reply's.

Edit: I actually just stumbled across this which did what I wanted it to do, http://askubuntu.com/questions/10481...plication-menu. Just run this
    sudo apt-get remove indicator-appmenu
    then log out and log back in, hope this helps.
    Last edited by JaredSi; October 18th, 2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: New info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Change the behavior of the 11.10 menu bar?

Thank you JaredSi! Uninstalling "indicator-appmenu" worked like a charm.

I just wish clicking the "top bar" would still bring you to the current fullscreen application, but oh well, it's good enough as it is.