Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fix Oneiric or go back to Natty

Beans

fix Oneiric or go back to Natty

I just upgraded to Oneiric and I'm LOST!!!!! I can't see most of the files in my directories. 'control +h' doesn't work, nor does the option 'show hidden files'. My desktop icons keep disappaering, which would be great ....if I could control it. I've always thought that'd be a cool option, but it doesn't seem like an option so far ...more like a bug. I have to keep using 'gnome--tweak-tool' to get icons back ....again n again!

I do like that I can now delete all archive files. On Natty I could only delete folders in archives, not files ....strange.

But I just don't feel like I'm in control. And Oneiric doesn't seem as customizable ....bit that's prolly just cuz I'm dumb

If these issues r easy enough to fix -fine .....but just incase, wuts the best way to get back to Natty? .....which brings me to another question. If I'm just using gnome2 as desktop, am I btr off on Maverick? (or wutever its called b4 Natty). I hate Unity!!!!!!!!! And I don't like the new gnome either .....but I'm pretty familiar with Natty, just not sure how different it is. I just remember when setting things up finally the way I was comfortable, from wut I could gather, I was pretty much using Maverick.
    Last edited by CleveRuse; October 18th, 2011 at 09:11 PM.

Beans

Re: fix Oneiric or go back to Natty

Since I upgraded for 11.10 I can't use the internet no more, even if a plub an ethernet cable the computer don't do nothing. I can see the wirless networks, but when I try to connect, the computer continuos asks me the pass key, and don't connect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Try Gnome 3 Shell....I found it less buggy than Unity. Give it a try. Here is how to do it:

http://www.computerandyou.net/2011/1...-ubuntu-11-10/
    My blogs...

Computer Tips and Tricks: http://www.computerandyou.net/
    Open Source Blog: http://itsfoss.com/

Beans

If you want to go back to Natty, the best (read only) way to do it is by reinstalling.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm sure there's some technical way to revert an upgrade that I'm not aware of. I'm still a beginner. But the only way I know how to revert an upgrade is to completely reinstall the old version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joreus View Post
    I'm sure there's some technical way to revert an upgrade that I'm not aware of.
    There's not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

actually there is, but its so not worth the hassle its quite advanced and will highly probably involve a busted system in the end, a reinstall is definitely your best option
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Lol. It's a pity when new users (and experienced ones that should know better) install the latest release which has been out five minutes, expect it to be flawless, then complain when it's not. If you want stability stick with an LTS release or the stable system you had. If it ain't broke, why fix it? How many people have upgraded to 11.10 because they actually needed to (and despite the forums being flooded with 11.10 issues? the lemming syndrome?)?

One of my only problems with Linux: this point is not made clear and it is a really bad look and bad for the reputation when a new user decides to try Ubuntu, installs the latest release without knowing how this all works, then is turned completely off by the dog's breakfast they are faced with.

Why don't we make it clear to new users they should start with a stable release? In all but a few cases this would be the best option for all concerned. Why would a new user want to become a Ubuntu tester from day one? I would have thought they'd just want to get to know the OS without a million headaches.

To all experienced users: Please make the new release dodginess clear to new users! Don't just pretend all is fine and will be fixed in a jiffy then proceed to use the opportunity to practice your problem-solving skills. The majority of new users couldn't give a toss, they just want to use the OS. Tell em to cut their teeth on an LTS, avoid the hassle, and hit the cutting edge and start breaking things when they are ready and comfortable with the new OS. We're going to breed more Ubuntu devotees and helpful, productive, knowledgeable members of the community that way.

(Ubuntu motto: it just works ... but not generally on a wet-behind-the-ears release).

My rant for the day, thank you and goodnight.

BTW: A new install is your only option. There is no rollback, never was and presumably never will be, which is a pity. Still, I wouldn't really want to try rolling back from a partially broken system. In Ubuntu's case this could cause some real issues (more, that is).
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 18th, 2011 at 10:43 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Lol. It's a pity when new users (and experienced ones that should know better) install the latest release which has been out five minutes, expect it to be flawless, then complain when it's not. If you want stability stick with an LTS release or the stable system you had. If it ain't broke, why fix it? How many people have upgraded to 11.10 because they actually needed to (and despite the forums being flooded with 11.10 issues? the lemming syndrome?)?

One of my only problems with Linux: this point is not made clear and it is a really bad look and bad for the reputation when a new user decides to try Ubuntu, installs the latest release without knowing how this all works, then is turned completely off by the dog's breakfast they are faced with.

Why don't we make it clear to new users they should start with a stable release? In all but a few cases this would be the best option for all concerned. Why would a new user want to become a Ubuntu tester from day one? I would have thought they'd just want to get to know the OS without a million headaches.

To all experienced users: Please make the new release dodginess clear to new users! Don't just pretend all is fine and will be fixed in a jiffy then proceed to use the opportunity to practice your problem-solving skills. The majority of new users couldn't give a toss, they just want to use the OS. Tell em to cut their teeth on an LTS, avoid the hassle, and hit the cutting edge and start breaking things when they are ready and comfortable with the new OS. We're going to breed more Ubuntu devotees and helpful, productive, knowledgeable members of the community that way.

(Ubuntu motto: it just works ... but not generally on a wet-behind-the-ears release).

My rant for the day, thank you and goodnight.
    Ur right, I realize its my fault. I actually did research b4 installing Natty. But not this time. I didn't even know there was a new release till it popped up on my comp and prompted me to update. I saw that and just assumed it must be stable ...oh well. Live n learn Thnx for the advise!

After Thought: Ur kinda a ****, huh? ...lol! I theme android phones. I'm pretty damn good at it too. Anyway ...the point is that i get questions like this from both newbs and the experienced all the time, and if i don't have the patience to be helpful at the time, I don't respond at all! ....I mean, u do realize that u haven't helped me, right? ....lol!

Edit: just saw the "btw", LOL .....well in that case, thnx for the help. I truly DO appreciate it!
    Last edited by CleveRuse; October 18th, 2011 at 10:57 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast