Thread: automatic database filler script?

Beans

Question automatic database filler script?

I am required to fill in an online database every single day at work with a topic. To do that, every single day I go online, log in with my name and password, select today's date in the calendar, and click on appropriate button to input my topic, then click Save. To make it easier, I already have a Word document with all the topics for each day, so I simply open Writer, copy and paste into a given text area and save.

QUESTION: Can this mind-numbing task be turned into a script or a terminal command so that I could fill in a week's worth of topics with a click of a button?

I assume it is doable, and I would like to ask for some pointers. What knowledge do I need to have in order to do that? I am willing to learn, but I don't know where I should start. I'm not even sure how to ask about this using the right terminology. Could I do it in Python, or would a shell script suffice?

Thank you in advance.

Beans

Re: automatic database filler script?

Quote Originally Posted by tubunu View Post
    I am required to fill in an online database every single day at work with a topic. To do that, every single day I go online, log in with my name and password, select today's date in the calendar, and click on appropriate button to input my topic, then click Save. To make it easier, I already have a Word document with all the topics for each day, so I simply open Writer, copy and paste into a given text area and save.

QUESTION: Can this mind-numbing task be turned into a script or a terminal command so that I could fill in a week's worth of topics with a click of a button?

I assume it is doable, and I would like to ask for some pointers. What knowledge do I need to have in order to do that? I am willing to learn, but I don't know where I should start. I'm not even sure how to ask about this using the right terminology. Could I do it in Python, or would a shell script suffice?

Thank you in advance.
    Hi

I'm guessing it's a web form you're filling in ... which means you're quite likely to be able to do it with creative use of wget in a shell script. You start by looking at the source of the page you have to fill out, and find the HTML <form ...>stuff</form>. Read the --post-data section of the manual page for wget. You could also consider curl.

If it's not a web page ... you'll have to tell us a bit more about it.

Can I ask what kind of mindless task it is? Why do they want you to do it?

Hope that's of some use.

Kind regards,
    Jonathan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: automatic database filler script?

I have not used it but this sounds like it would help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greasemonkey
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.