Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Desktop

Hi,

The desktop of Xubuntu 11.04 (or 11.10), does it come with that Apple MacOs bar at the bottom? I've seen a couple of screenshots of the desktop and they all have that MacOs bar at the bottom? Many thanks for your input!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Desktop

Yes it does, but it is hidden by default. Simply move your mouse to the bottom of the screen to display it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

is there somewhere a list available with thje standard installed applications?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crazy bird View Post
    The bottom bar is quite a bit different from Mac. If you know Gnome or KDE panel, it is just that with launchers. Mac-like dock would be AWN (available in the repositories and working fine with Xubuntu).

If you want to check the list of default apps, it is best to get a liveCD/liveDVD and then boot from it. There is some information here, but it is not complete:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu

You should note that Xubuntu can install any Ubuntu program, i.e. if you don't like the default selection, you can just install another program.

Beans

Also, you can use panel preferences to move it to the left side - I'd rather move it to the right side, just to be obtuse - and lock it in place. I was disappointed to find a visable-on-mouseover bug on Xubuntu, but I had no trouble fixing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Here you go: list (97K)
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    The bottom bar is quite a bit different from Mac. If you know Gnome or KDE panel, it is just that with launchers. Mac-like dock would be AWN (available in the repositories and working fine with Xubuntu).

If you want to check the list of default apps, it is best to get a liveCD/liveDVD and then boot from it. There is some information here, but it is not complete:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu

You should note that Xubuntu can install any Ubuntu program, i.e. if you don't like the default selection, you can just install another program.
    @Miro:
    Thanks for the link!

Beans

???????? What kind of crap is this??
    It's not crap, it's a package list. Everything on that page ending in .deb is a package installed with Xubuntu 11.10. So /pool/main/f/file-roller/file-roller_3.2.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb means an i386 version of file-roller is installed. To see packages installe don your system, in a terminal run'''
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hhh View Post
    It's not crap, it's a package list. Everything on that page ending in .deb is a package installed with Xubuntu 11.10. So /pool/main/f/file-roller/file-roller_3.2.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb means an i386 version of file-roller is installed. To see packages installe don your system, in a terminal run'''
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections
    Ok, understood. It looked like some listing which i didn't understand.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

I don't care for those type of bars very much....so that's the first thing that comes off. It does work well....no problems with it, but I like to keep things basic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast