Thread: Startup Disk Creator 11.10 USB Erase Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Startup Disk Creator 11.10 USB Erase Problem

I'm trying to download a copy of 11.10 to a usb drive. It is 2.0 MB and presently has a 10.04 image on it. The error is

org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.dbus.exceptions.DBusEx ception: com.ubuntu.USBCreator.Error.NotAuthorized

When I click the Help button I receive another error:

The URI 'ghelp.usb-creator' does not point to a valid page.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Startup Disk Creator 11.10 USB Erase Problem

Full Circle Magazine issue 45, page 13 tells you how to use Multisystem. It's not perfect, but it made a flash drive which I used to install 11.10.

(After creating the drive, it crashed.)

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, but no help there. It asks me to connect a FAT32 formatted volume to begin. I can't format or erase the USB drive, so I'm still stuck.

I used gparted to format the usb as FAT32, yet the program still doesn't see the usb drive mounted.

wish I knew the mount command. "mount /dev/sdc1" doesn't work.
    Last edited by ProntoAnthony; October 18th, 2011 at 03:05 AM.

Beans

I have a similar problem. It seems that usb creator cannot erase my usb stick. It tries to do it, but for some reason it keeps looping endlessly and creating identical clones of my usb stick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by _sleeper; October 19th, 2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: uploaded photo
    Laptop-> compaq CQ61-430EV | os: Kubuntu 10.04 64 | cpu: intel pentium t4400, 2.2GHz | ram: 2GB | gpu: nvidia G102M
    Main Desktop-> os: Kubuntu 10.04 64 | cpu: amd64 X2 5600+, 2,8 GHz | mb: ASUS M2N-E SLI | ram: 2 GB | gpu: MSI 8500GT 256 RAM

Beans

Problem: Trying to install to a 2GB USB memory stick, using startup disk creator - select my dvd to install from (I booted from it), choose to erase disk, hit Yes, then multiple (almost identical) memory sticks pop up next to (within the usb-creator-app) the original one, and a memory stick file-browser window pops up, and usb creator sits there spinning its wheels doing nothing.

Open a terminal window.

Type 'usb-creator-kde' - the startup disk creator runs and we are back to square one.

Type 'usb-creator-gtk' - the startup disk creator runs (looks a little different, but not much) - AHA!!

This one says "The device is not large enough to hold this image" - my DVD ISO (the image/OS I am trying to install is too large to fit on my memory stick - I need a larger memory stick or a smaller ISO image) - now why is this so hard...

HTH someone.

Beans

Visual info - terminal window with commands, file browser window, usb-creator-xxx window.

HTH.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

I just reinstalled the usb-creator-kde and then was able to erase my usb stick, copy the iso image, and boot from the stick without problems. Yippie!