Thread: Upgrade 11.04 to 11.10 - No middle click on touchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Upgrade 11.04 to 11.10 - No middle click on touchpad

I upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 and now the three finger middle click emulation on the touchpad isn't working. I do not see any settings for this under mouse settings. Is there a workaround to get it working like it did in 11.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgrade 11.04 to 11.10 - No middle click on touchpad

I was told some time ago, that the 3-finger-tap is used for some touch screen action IIRC, and that therefore it cannot be used as middle click - which is more that disappointing.

But I'm curious, if someone has figured out a solution to this problem...

Beans

Well, a few months later, and after trying Mint 12 and various Google guided, I'm stumped. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future, as it's not only a deal breaker for me, but it makes me want to shy away from distros like this in general. Hopefully they don't take away right clicking with two fingers in the next release.

Anyway, any help appreciated... but it looks like if I'm going to get past 10.10 I'm going to have to get away from Ubuntu.

Beans

Posting from a Windows machine, I figured out that I can configure my Elan Synaptic touchpad to do whatever I wish with two and three finger taps on the touchpad. I just don't understand why this was taken away from Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's not that they're taken away, rather the driver support isn't really there to begin with. I'm sure it will be better supported in the future.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    It's not that they're taken away, rather the driver support isn't really there to begin with. I'm sure it will be better supported in the future.
    Read this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/754000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From that bug:
    Please note this bug is about physically "clicking" a clickpad with 3 fingers. 3 finger tapping is different and has been intentionally overridden in Unity 3D by new gestures.
    That bug refers to touchpads where the entire surface is a button, and the whole touchpad can be pressed on and will click. Examples would include late-model Macbooks, Apple's Magic Trackpad, and the touchpads on Google Chromebooks, among others.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!