Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leaving Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Leaving Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    It's like changing your car because you don't like its color.
    Pretty soon you'll hear people saying they are leaving ubuntu because of the default wallpaper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    pretty soon you'll hear people saying they are leaving ubuntu because of the default wallpaper.
    lol +1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    Pretty soon you'll hear people saying they are leaving ubuntu because of the default wallpaper.
    I'm sure I've seen a thread about that somewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by seatex View Post
    Give Bodhi Linux a try as well. I have it on a USB thumb drive. It will run on practically any computer that will boot from USB, has a classic UI style, based on Ubuntu 10.04 but with the latest apps and kernel versions. Oh, and it looks fantastic!
    The only problem is that you have to re-install every two years:

"This means to stay with the latest release of Bodhi you only need to reinstall your system every two years, while still having current versions of your favorite applications."

source: http://www.bodhilinux.com/about_bodhi.php

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    Absolutely right! Unity may or may not be for you, but with KDE, Xfce, LXDE and others, not a big deal to use the DE that best suits the need. Plus we can get Cinnamon and others that better copy what Gnome 2 was as well.
    I think that the problem is that Gnome2 has been keeping a constant look & feel over the versions, while fixing minor bugs and adding enhancements. People were always excited about what the next version of Gnome2 would bring.

But now since Gnome2 is becoming obsolete, its users might feel betrayed. Now they have to look to other DE's and hopefully find one that mimics Gnome2. I see that Cinnamon seems to look nice.

I personally feel that Gnome3 (even fallback or classic) it's just a nerfed-down version of the old and powerful Gnome2.

For example, before you could just do right-click on any item in the Applications Browser and add it to the top Launcher. Now, Right-Click and Left-Click do the same thing.

While I only used 12.04 very little and only for tests in Virtual Box, I found a lot of other things are missing (e.g. synaptic, default Desktop Icons such as mounted drives, users & groups), System and Preferences menus are also less functional.

I think there is a user-base that got very well used to the Gnome2 Interface, and all it's subtleties. Those users will probably never get that in Gnome3. Ubuntu, being among the first disros to use Gnome3 by default, is more likely to be abandoned by these users.

I myself love the old Gnome2, but I am open to new options (e.g. unity), I just find that Unity is both slow and missing some functionality (System Monitor Graphs, Log Out / Shutdown options suddenly gone). I will stick to 10.10 for now, but next year it will not be supported anymore.

I guess I need to find another DE until then.

Usually, if people are happy enough with something and they got used to it, they want to keep it that way. Gnome3 represents a new "learning curve" for old users.

This thread is also quite interesting:
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-263609.html

P.S. at least most of the CLI has remained constant throughout the releases.
    Last edited by alecz20; September 17th, 2012 at 06:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

if you want a simpler gui, then download one. I dont like gnome or unity, and I still use ubuntu. I use KDE and have for years.
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

While I only used 12.04 very little and only for tests in Virtual Box, I found a lot of other things are missing (e.g. synaptic, default Desktop Icons such as mounted drives, users & groups), System and Preferences menus are also less functional.
    Synaptic is easily installed from the Software Center, drives are one click away from the home folder on top of my launcher, and I don't know what you mean with the rest.

Beans

First let's be serious they didn't change the color they changed the engine second Ubuntu is by far one of the most user friendly linux distros so hate on it if you want but it's solid, has lots of support and doesn't need to be restarted with every update haha. Anyways good luck with the attitude of not accepting change and see how far that takes ya...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by PaulInBHC View Post
    Synaptic is easily installed from the Software Center
    To make it even easier:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic

Beans

Um Ubuntu may be easy to use but it's nothing special. Ubuntu is just a compilation of other linux projects. Ubuntu was a gnome2 desktop and when the gnome developers decided to do something different Ubuntu had to do something. Any experience you can have on another distro you can have on ubuntu as well. Be it xfce,kde,openbox,enlightment,etc. They even have spins just for you
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have an update about DE's and a message to the OP and to anyone that does not like Gnome3 or Unity.

Try MATE: http://mate-desktop.org/

I cannot understand why the project is low profile when what it does it's actually a fork of Gnome2 that can be easily installed on most popular distributions including Ubuntu.

Just install MATE and get your Gnome2 back!

It would be awesome if Ubuntu had it in the repos but the instructions are pretty simple.

Good luck and kudos to the MATE guys!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast